Economy Tune on PHP Gryphon - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Economy Tune on PHP Gryphon

I just got my PHP Gryphon installed and I didn't have time to install the thermocouple yet. I had to leave for my road trip to Utah. I have the option for custom tunes but it takes a few weeks.

In the mean time I thought I'd try the canned tunes.

Transmission just changes shift points everything else is normal.

Economy I ran this and was getting significantly better mileage but the thing I noticed is in town it doesn't spin the turbo at all. I'm seeing 1 or 2 boost at most unless I punch it then the turbo kicks in. On the highway at 70mph I only have 4 boost normaly.

My concern is will this hurt the turbo? Everyone says drive it like you stole it but 3 mpg is significant on a 1500mile roadtrip.

Toe mode is 65hp and can't recall torque don't want to use this for cruising I'd expect it to suck a lot more fuel.

Extreme is 100hp and 200torque and I'm scared to try it with stock head bolts

Just looking for advise from people who ran this stuff or what your thoughts on this is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Premium Member

Hum I'm figured someone would be able to help with these concerns.

The Gryphon is the same as the CTS just a different display. Same types tunes and such.

Anyone have tuners that they see these same issues.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an Edge Evo that is on it's way to PHP to be converted to a Gryphon. I have been running the EVO for about 9 months now while I saved a little bit of extra cash for the conversion and custom tunes.

With that said, I have ran it on the Extreme tune for all but about 3 weeks of that 9 months on the extreme with stock head bolts without any issues. If your truck is in ok condition to begin with, and your EOT and ECT are not more than 15 deg apart at normal operating temperatures I don't think you will have a problem with it.

Once you start seeing a larger difference in EOT and ECT then you are looking at a plugged oil cooler that could cause your EGR cooler to fail and that is what generally causes problems with raising the head bolts and I would not run any tune on it at that point but would do an EGR delete and rebuild your oil cooler.

Also, I saw about 17.5-18.5 mpg average on the Hwy with the Extreme tune. I did get as high as 21.7 but that was cruising about 60-65 coming out of the hills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.