Trouble codes HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble codes HELP

I installed my new Edge insight CTS today and read the trouble codes. It showed two codes.
1. P0299-Turbo underboost
2. P0528-Fan Speed Circuit no Signal

What do these mean and what do I do to fix them.

I reset the codes and will check again in a couple of days to see if they come back.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Do you have a tuner?

Check the electrical connector to the fan clutch.

Last edited by bismic; 02-12-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 PM

No I don't have a tuner and where is the connection located.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Ok done some more driving of the truck today and rechecked the codes. This time no under boost but the fan circuit no signal is back. I seen on some other ford sites that this most likely means that I'm gonna need to replace the fan clutch. Will this just cause the truck to run hotter and how fast should i try to get it fixed. Its hard to tell how long its been like this but I've only had the truck for a few months now.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 PM

This may or may not be your problem. But here is a TSB on Fans in the 6.0. Sorry, but the figures didn't paste in.

TSB
07-3-10 LACK OF COOLING FAN OPERATION - 6.0L
Publication Date: February 2, 2007

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2007 E-350, E-450

This article supersedes TSB 07-1-4 to update the part list.

ISSUE:
Some 2004-2007 E-Series 350/450, 2003-2005 Excursion, and 2003-2007 F-Super Duty vehicles, equipped with the 6.0L diesel engine, may exhibit improper engine cooling fan clutch operation due to its wire harness being cut by the rotating cooling fan.

ACTION:
If the fan stator/shroud retaining clip is broken or missing, use the following Service Procedure to secure the wire harness to the fan stator/shroud.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. A cut wire harness will prevent proper fan clutch operation. If the harness is damaged or severed, replace the Cooling Fan Clutch Assembly per the Work Shop Manual, Section 303-03. The harness may be cut because the molded-in retaining clip on the fan stator/shroud that secures the harness to the fan stator/shroud is broken or missing, allowing the loose harness to move into the rotating fan (Figure 1). Secure the harness to the fan stator/shroud using a screw to secure it to the stator/shroud.

Figure 1 - Article 07-3-10

2. Carefully drill a 1/8" (3.2 mm) diameter hole through both the tab on the harness and the stator/shroud as shown (Figure 2). Hold the harness fully down in the stator/shroud slot while drilling the hole in order to assure that the harness will be positioned away from the rotating fan.

Figure 2 - Article 07-3-10

3. Install and tighten the screw to 9 lb-in. (1 N-m).
4. Check to make sure that the harness is held securely to the stator/shroud and away from the fan.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

4C3Z-8A616-AA Fan Clutch Asy (Vehicles Without Snow Plow Package)
4C3Z-8A616-SA Fan Clutch Asy (Vehicles With Snow Plow Package)
W506943-S424 Screw

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

070310A 2003-2007 Super Duty, 2003-2005 Excursion 6.0L: Replace The Fan Clutch, Includes Time To Secure The Wire Harness (Do Not Use With 8616A, 8005A, 8005AZW, 8146A, 8600A) 1.5 Hrs.

070310A 2004-2007 Econoline E-350/450 6.0L: Replace The Fan Clutch, Includes Time To Secure The Wire Harness (Do Not Use With 8616A, 8005A, 8005AZW, 8146A, 8600A) 1.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8A616 01
Old 02-12-2011, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Check the electrical connector to the fan clutch.

Don't ignore it. As I said, check out the wiring and conector before you replace the fan clutch. Gringo tex gave the the ful story. I don't mean to sound rude, but don't know how else to answer your question on where it is ...... The connector is right in front of you when you look at the clutch.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 AM

I found the connector everything is hooked up good and from what I could see and feel I believe the wiring hasn't been cut in any way.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 AM

I've been doing a little research on the site about the P0299 Turbo underboost code. From what i've read it sounds like it could be a issue with the vanes sticking in the turbo. I haven't noticed any power loss or anything like some people have experienced. The truck seems to run fine and when I lay into it it will jump up to 25psi boost monitored on my insight. Could this have anything to do with my driving style. I don't run the truck hard and I really don't drive it alot but in reading it seems like I might need to run it a little harder than what I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.