Lift decision/opinion - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift decision/opinion

What's up guys (and girls). Been a good while since I've been on here. Been working 7days/wk. I've now had my new '07 since late March. So far I love the truck. It's been great for hauling stuff like sofas, lumber, doors etc. I've been debating what to do with the "lift" for the truck since I bought it. It's stock with the FX4 and 20" wheels pacakge, 156" WB which is the crew cab regular bed. I Put a Warn transformer & 9k winch upfront and didn't like the low front end stance at all. I put some of those front spring spacers on back in April, and Hate them. the truck drives a lot squirlier and the axle shifted over a bit, but the height is perfect upfront. It's about 1"-1.5" higher in the front than the back. I was going to go with a full 4" Skyjacker kit, do the nitro shocks, Pitman arm, brackets etc. the full 9yrds. But I've noticed I do a lot of work with the tuck and highway driving, so I think I might go the "F350" route. Do F350 blocks & Ubolts which are about 1-3/8" taller than the F250 blocks. And for the front end do a SuperLift Level kit, yes the expensive "CORRECT" LEVEL KIT. Which has brackets, springs, etc. And for shocks I could do stock F350 application rear shocks (which are a bit longer b/c of the taller blocks) and then run some longer shocks upfront (+2"-3"). I'd either run a SKyjacker Nitro, or some other kind of Nitrogen gas charged shock, hate the stock ranchos.
Reasons I'm leaning toward the "Level F350" stance is b/c of the usefulness of it and work. not b/c i'm trying to save money. I do use the bed, so the additional inches the 4" kit would add might be overkill. I think the 4" skyjacker kit has 2.5" or 3" blocks. I also drive a lot on the interstate for work, and I like to drive "swiftly". and I don't want to hurt my MPG any more than I have to. I want to keep the stock 20" wheels, and go with only 1 or 2 sizes up in tires. Which I could pretty much do bone stock, so the 4" lift is overkill in tire/wheel department also. NOt to mention the 4" lift kits include ALUMINUM blocks. Blocks in general SUCK. the bigger the block, the worse. I'd feel safer/better knowing I have a Factory Ford block than some aftermarket aluminum block.
What do you guys think? sorry for such a long ranting post, but Now that I've owned the truck for a few months and driven it, I have a better idea of what I want out of the truck than I did 3 months ago when I bought it. In the end the Level F350 might cost me more than buying a outright 4" kit, but I think I might be happier. Just wanting to check with you guys, see if i'm way out in Left field on this issue. thanks for the input ahead of time.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 07-14-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 06:38 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I completely agree. I will be lowering mine to a level kit on 33's to hopefully gain back some mpg's. I used to average 19 stock at 75mph. now I get 15 at 70mph. For shocks, I suggest the bilsteins or donahoe.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:48 PM

10-4. Ok, so I'm not completely out in left field than lol. I also forgot to mention I park a lot in parking garages.... where inches count on big trucks. Would really suck to have to leave my nice new truck in a hot nasty parking lot b/c it's 2" to tall or whatever rather than being in a nice shady secure garage.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:59 PM
MARSOC > Seals

hey about ur axle shifting over a bit... I would almost bet that it didn't move just because of what you have done to it... it made it easier to notice how much it was off.... both of my axles arn't on there perfect and all of the SD that my uncel has had wasn't either untill he took one of them to Ford and had them fix it.... I would almost bet that alot of guys trucks on this website has that problem.. but it isn't the easiest to tell untill you get bigger tires....
Old 07-14-2007, 07:00 PM

How did ford "fix it"? My tires are stock. Truck has about 2K miles. Truck drove fine until I put the 2.5" coil spacers on. Is there a TSB for a track bar fix?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:03 PM
MARSOC > Seals

I would have to ask my uncle that.... he told be about the axles when he say mine once I got the lift and tires put on... he also told me he hasn't seen to many SD that didn't have this problem.... nothing really major but if you stare at it you might be able to tell a difference.....
Old 07-15-2007, 04:56 PM

well the only thing you can do is lift/lower the supsension to center the axle, or get a longer/shorter track bar. OR get a trackbar bracket. I can't see ford doing any of that unless there is a TSB/recall for this issue and there is a "update" part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.