Why is my turbo howling? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why is my turbo howling?

I'm not talking about the initial spool up but after putting the pedal to the metal I'm getting a low howl sound kinda like when the wind blows through an extension ladders rungs. Do I need to have the turbo dismantled and cleaned? If so does anyone know what the dealership charges for this service?

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist 06 View Post
I'm not talking about the initial spool up but after putting the pedal to the metal I'm getting a low howl sound kinda like when the wind blows through an extension ladders rungs. Do I need to have the turbo dismantled and cleaned? If so does anyone know what the dealership charges for this service?

Scott
I think I know of the noise your talking about , its under light accleration....atleast mine does, and my buddies 05 does the same thing. I will try and duplicate tonight, and figure out about how much throttle position, and rpm range.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:17 PM

Mine started doing that and me or the dealer could not figure out what it was so about a month later my turbo gave out and i got it replaced under warranty.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:44 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sure it's not turbo fart?
Old 07-14-2007, 07:25 PM

I was always warned about turbo noises. I was told if it made a howling type noise, that it could be lack of lubrication in the turbo.

Of course I have an OBS so I don't know if the pedistal is the same. But low oil pressure there wouldn't be good.

And again, that is what I was told. Never heared anything strange from mine.(knock on wood).
Old 07-15-2007, 05:02 AM

howl

no definately not the turbo chug-a-lug noise. My truck does that too but I know that is normal. Well, it's been doing that howl for awhile and it used to be only when I had the program on it but now It does it on the stock setting too. I'll take it in and ask ford to dismantle and clean the vains, maybe that will prolong it's life some, hopefully.

Scott
Old 07-15-2007, 05:16 AM
Banned

How many miles you have on the rig scott? just wondering what I might need to look out for... i'm at 43K now

-nate
Old 07-15-2007, 12:22 PM

I can get a howl at 15-20% throttle position on acceleration. Any higher then that and you cant hear it. Im not sure if Im hearing the same noise you hear but that is what I hear.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 AM

Nate

67k I'll let you know wwhat the dealer has to say.

Scott
Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Here's a TSB for a moan/droan on the turbo.

6.0 Moan/Droan Between 1500-2000 RPM:
Engineering has investigated this condition and found the cause to be engine firing pulses causing the turbo mounts to vibrate/resonate. For trucks built through 9-29-03 install a revised turbo pedestal, P/N 3C3Z-6N639-BA. Trucks built after 9-29-03, install a turbo bracket A-brace, P/N 5C3Z-6N639-BA. If the draon is still present after installing the brace on trucks built from 9-30-03 through 1-17-05, replace the turbo pedestal with 5C3Z-6N639-AA. Ensure the droan is not caused by a bound exhaust system. Inspect for any damaged or broken exhaust hangers. Check the turbo downpipe by loosening the pipe at the top and bottom, checking its alignment and retightening. If the droan is still present, check the part number embossed on the turbo pedestal just below the turbo compressor outlet to the intercooler. If the number IS NOT 1846207C1, replace the pedestal with the above part. After replacement, or if the number IS 1846207C1, loosen the turbo inlet pipes and EGR cooler flange and neutralize by installing the components in this order: snug the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes; torque the EGR cooler clamp to 53 in/lbs; torque the pedestal bolts to 23 ft/lbs; torque the turbo inlet clamp to 9 ft/lbs: snug the inlet pipes to manifolds. Ensure all components are properly aligned. Torque the flange between the LH and RH inlet pipes to 20 ft/lbs and the inlet pipes to the manifolds to 20 ft/lbs. Broadcast Message 0992, SSM 17530, TSB #04-9-4 & 05-19-12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.