04 F350 Harley Edition - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 F350 Harley Edition

My Mom's looking at purchasing this truck, it has 79,000 miles, has a clean car fax no maintenance has been done. Truck's loaded with everything sun roof an all. Usually my dad would have the answer's were looking for, but him and my brother both died in the same night 2 years ago. Ive been doing my research on here for quite a while, so I know what i should look for in the 6.0. Only thing I havent found is this truck doesnt produce hot heat while at idle, but at idle and if you rev it up, it will put out some great heat. Anyone have an idea of a problem? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks Jordan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadracer570 View Post
My Mom's looking at purchasing this truck, it has 79,000 miles, has a clean car fax no maintenance has been done. Truck's loaded with everything sun roof an all. Usually my dad would have the answer's were looking for, but him and my brother both died in the same night 2 years ago. Ive been doing my research on here for quite a while, so I know what i should look for in the 6.0. Only thing I havent found is this truck doesnt produce hot heat while at idle, but at idle and if you rev it up, it will put out some great heat. Anyone have an idea of a problem? Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks Jordan.
Well for your mom to jump into a 6.0 i would say NO just to have a coolant problem to start with may be $$$$ 79k is low miles but it may turn into a money pit. You need gauges to check the difference in EOT-ECT max 15* more than that cooler problems, any white stuff around the degasing tank if so a problem any white smoke at start up coolant or fuel the list goes on
2 stroker
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 AM

More than likely the water pump needs to be replaced. Fairly common on the 6.0's...

Like any used vehicle, have it thoroughly inspected by a trusted diesel mechanic. Additiionally, request a CarFax and an Oasis report. The Oasis will tell you all of the work done on the truck at dealerships....
Old 02-11-2011, 05:42 AM

Get an oasis, if your mom gets the truck, get a coolant filter system and flush out fords gold coolant ****, just make sure you change out the fuel filters at every 2nd or 3rd oil change and put some fuel therapy in the tank at every fill up and change the oil to Valvoline Extreme Blue Synthetic 5W-40 and you'll be fine. If you just keep up with that, you'll be fine. Oh get an egr delete as well. Then you'll be great for a while lol. My dads truck is an 03 F250, has 220,000 miles on it and everything is stock except for the coolant filter system and egr delete and it runs like a champ. And THE WATER PUMP WAS JUST CHANGED. Only change it if you NEED TO
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. If she gets it I plan on putting the insight in it to be able to watch all the temps, the coolant system and the egr valve as mentioned. Now as far as the heat problem, how hard is the water pump to chang out? Also, is the oasis the same as a carfax? I have the carfax on it and it doesnt say any maintanence, but if there different then i understand.

Also, what is the degasing tank? SOrry for all the questions.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oasis is a Ford program that tells in detail of any records of work done to the truck at dealerships, Carfax is a history report for accidents and damages.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The degas bottle is where you put in the coolant, up by the brake master cylinder. If you find white residue around the cap it could mean several things--bad cap, failed EGR cooler, or blown headgaskets. If it is failed EGR cooler of headgaskets, be ready to put some extra money into the truck to make it right.

The water pump can take about 4-5hrs your first time, it's not hard just time consuming. Here is a link to water pump removal that Bismic supplied the info and I took the pics.
WATER PUMP REMOVAL INSTRUCTION w/PICS. - TheDieselGarage.com
Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Please have you and your mom read over these two links prior to jumping into the purchase. You may even want to print them out and take with you to go over the truck.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

What to look for when buying a used 6.0L
Old 02-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Sweet. Thanks guys. Ive read those over and over just to make sure. Double checked the coolant and no signs of white residue. So its up to her if she wants it now. Gonna let the dealer know about the heat problem and see what they say. Thanks for posting those other threads also.

Jordan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.