Does this seem a little high? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does this seem a little high?

This is my dealerships breakdown of my repairs. Wouldn't the head bolts fail to cause the gaskets to blow? Let me know what else I should do.

The truck was drivin while overheating, engine got so hot it blew the head gaskets dumping coolant into the engine and blew out the intake manifold seals. Will have to start with replacing the head gaskets on both sides, replacing the intake seals, and changing the oil. Will have to start with this repair then retest to be sure there are no other problems that are not showing up at this time since the truck is not running correctly due to the blown head gaskets. Will have to remove front wheels and sit on blocks to lower truck since it is lifted to be able to remove the front bumper to gain access to the engine and remove the engine from the truck for repair. Just let me know something at your earliest convience on the repair.

Thanks,
Buck McGhar
Hometown Ford Service
334-749-8113 334-749-8113 ext. 224
334-759-9884 334-759-9884 mobile
bmcghar@hometownautos.com

Labor: $2,750.00

Includes removing front wheels to lower truck due to lift, removeing front bumper
and all front facia of truck, and removing the engine from truck to perform repairs
per Mitchell Labor Guide

Parts: $ 874.79

Includes both head gaskets, intake seal kit, and antifreeze to refill system

Oil & $ 109.99
Filter:

OIl and filter must be changed since the head gaskets are blown and it dumped all antifreeze
into the engine assy mixing with the engine oil

Misc: $ 150.00

Misc for any additional bolts or parts that may need to be replaced that may break if they are seized up

Shop $ 30.00
Supplies:

Shop Supplies is a max charge of $30 or no more than 10% of total labor charge to cover solvents or cleaners
that may be needed to clean engine compartment, shop rags used, etc.

Tax: $ 90.78

8% AL sales tax on parts only

Total $ 4,005.56
Repair:
Also, if anyone knows someone around Auburn, AL or Geaorgia that's reputable let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure how reputable, but mine is going to be going in the shop (under the extended warranty) at Carl Gregory Ford here in Auburn. I purchased from them about 20 days ago and started having symptoms of a bad oil cooler and either a bad egr or blown head gasket. My extended warranty doesn't kick in until 30 days after the purchase date and they informed me to bring it back then, otherwise, the warranty company may try to state that it is a pre-existing condition and then would not cover the repair costs.

I was frustrated, but appreciated the honesty. They said that they were eager for the work because they had been slow lately and would work with me to keep prices low on anything not covered by the warranty (which all should be covered). The guys in the shop seemed good, but the lady was pretty rude.

They may be worth a second quote.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Even though you are an aubarn fan I will chime in haha. As far as the labor costs go that is not too terrible of a price. They are doing a lot of unnecessary things like taking the wheels off and removing the front bumper. If this is a legit ford dealership they would raise that cab to do a head gasket fix. A ford dealership tried to charge me more than that for labor when my gaskets blew. However, they are ripping you off on parts. If you bought all those yourself off the internet it would probably cost you half of that if not less. Also, if you blew your head gaskets, I highly recommend replacing your oil cooler. Lastly, dont put the ford gold coolant in your truck, get some CAT ELC coolant. The coolant ford uses is one of the reasons that oil coolers are prone to fail.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

What year is this truck?

I don't see anything about EGR cooler and Oil cooler. Why was it over heating? They should have some idea. (could have been the problem to start with)

The head gaskets can be done without removing the engine. It's not as involved.

Also, buy yourself some ARP bolts and have them put those instead of factory bolts.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Where in Alabama are you located? My dealer did my HG's, studs, EGR delete, and oil cooler for $3300. I can give you details, it shouldn't be too far from you.

And if you are still under warranty, this dealer is mod friendly.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 PM

I'm in Auburn. Sickstroke, where is you dealer? I may have found a place in Phenix City but am waiting on a call back. I am doing the studs, that is why I thought it was a little high, since those aren't included. Also, they said the cooler and egr were good (they were replace for the second time in october). My truck is an 06, apparently there was a program on it because when I took it to Carl Gregory, they said it had 30# of boost at that voided the warranty, so I disconnected the battery and took it to the other dealership (itwas still under warranty, now not so much, ran out 3 weeks ago). Appreciate all the help so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.