EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR delete

Hey was just trying to get some feedback...I have an 06 f250, I just replaced all 8 injectors, got the egr delete, and a high pressure fitting the guy told me that went to the HPOP. Was just wondering what you guys thought about the egr delete and this high pressure fitting was it worth it or was it a way to get some extra money..Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Johnny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The EGR delete and upgraded STC fitting for the HPOP was a good thing. Your mechanic upgrade the fitting because the original design is known to fail, when this fitting fails, it may leave you calling a tow truck.

With the EGR delete, you eliminated the chance of the heads lifting do to coolant getting into the cylinders. Liquid doesn't compress, so if you were to get coolant into the cylinder because the stock EGR cooler cracked, the stock head bolts could stretch causing the heads to lift away from the block deck.

I have some questions.

1-- Do you have a way to monitor EOT,ECT,and Fuel pressure?

2-- Why did he need to replace all 8 injectors?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM

Naw I dont have any monitors at all. It is on the to do list. As far as the injectors go, when i bought the truck 3 months ago it drove perfect for bout 3 days then i had to go back to work (offshore), when i got back the truck smoked like a chimney and idled hard. It has 103,000 miles on it and i dont have a warranty, but the place i purchased the truck from agreed to get it fixed. Ha ha..well the first time they replaced 3 injectors and said good to go, well that took the whole time i was home to get repaired, so went to work, came back and truck smoked even worse, a blue/white smoke. Then they agreed to take it to another mech. and he found that the other 5 injectors were running bout 65%, my egr cooler was bad.. so he helped me out and replaced all the injectors, did the egr delete and fitting for bout 2500 bucks.....i just was trying to get peace of mind that hopefully i wont run into any other problems.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 AM
Powerstroke Techie

The sad part is, the things you had repaired usually fail from other underlying issues.

Usually the EGR cooler fails because the oil cooler gets blocked up. There are coolant passages that also run thru the oil cooler to cool the oil, these very tiny coolant passages get clogged up from silicate drop out and casting sand. When the coolant passages in the oil cooler get blocked, coolant can't get to the EGR cooler. Now that the EGR cooler is not getting any coolant, the super heated exhaust gases are causing the thin metal pleats in the EGR cooler the expand and shrink to the point of failure, causing either coolant to enter the intake or making the degas bottle to puke.

The original STC fitting was just a bad design.

You usually run into injector issues from poor maintenance, weak FICM, or low fuel pressure. When fuel pressure drops below 45psi at any given load (idle to WOT) can cause injector failure. If your FICM voltage puts out less than 46 volts at any/all of the test positions, your not getting the full amount of power required to operate the injectors causing them to fail.

Hope fully you mechanic tested the ficm according to procedure, alog with hooking up a fuel psi gauge and to check psi at idle to WOT. He also needed to check the delta between the EOT and ECT to see if the oil cooler is blocked, more than 15* in temp difference is telling you your oil cooler is getting or has clogged up.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

It is a solid bet that if the egr cooler was bad it was a clogged oil cooler that caused it. Never replace the egr cooler without replacing the oil cooler. If your oil cooler was not replaced then you need to get a read on your ECT and EOT delta because I'll bet you the oil cooler is bad.

Then flush the gold coolant and switch to ELC coolant. It is the silicates in the Ford gold G-05 coolant that is responsible for all this grief. The silicates fall out due to the heat of the egr cooler and clog the oil cooler. It all snowballs from there.

Don't assume you are ok. Check it to make sure.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM

There is a replacement spring for your fuel pressure regulator, which ensures you maintain sufficient fuel pressure. It should be at least 45 psi at the fuel pressure test port by the fuel filter under the hood.

There is also an HFCM Water Separator Drain Plug Upgrade, which makes it easier to drain your water separator. You'll want to do this more frequently than the filter change. An you really want this upgrade if you have a 4x4 because the front shaft makes it very tight quarters to work.

Be sure to only use Motorcraft/International/Racor filters (Racor manufactures them for Ford and Intl)

HFCM Separator Drain Plug Upgrade:

Ford part number: 6E7Z-9C082-A
International part number: 2589259C91

Fuel Pressure Spring Kit:

Ford PN 3c3z-9t517-AG
Intl PN 1843065C95

Stay safe offshore bud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.