Bad set of injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad set of injectors?

I recently purchased some casserly 190's in november and had some issues with them. I started at thread a while back about it. Basically I was driving on the highway and all the sudden an injector started missing and the truck threw an injector low circuit code. The next day I pull the injector and come to find out that one of the two bolts that hold the solenoid on top had come out. Casserly sent me another injector and all was good. Well, about a month later it did it again except in a different cylinder on the other side. I call Casserly and asked him if he could send me a new set. I dont have the time or resources to risk this happening again and he understood and sent me a new set. Installed them and the truck is up and running fine except there are some differences on how it runs. First off, it is a lot less smokey than the first set. On the first set he sent me, I had a hard time adjusting my fuel pressure. It would idle at 55 psi and would rise up to around 68-70 when I did a hard acceleration and drop to 55 at WOT. On the second set he sent me, my fuel pressure is constant at 55 while driving around and will touch 58-60 on a hard acceleration. I've only done 1 WOT run and it was a very short burst and my FP was at about 55-57. I find that very strange and I made absolutely zero adjustments to my fuel pressure settings before installing the second set. Another difference is the way it starts and what it does when I let off the gas and let the truck roll. It's hard to explain, but when you start your truck it fires and you hear the clack clack clack the diesel engine makes. On the first set, the engine would almost lope for a split second right at the start and the idle normally. It would be like clack, pause, clack, pause, clack and then idle. On the second set, it starts just like it did when stock. As for the letting off the accelerator and rolling, the first set would do something similar to starting it. Say I was coming up to a stop light and rolling into it. There would be pauses between the clacks and they werent evenly timed meaning that some of the pauses were longer than others. Now it just sounds like a normal idle. Anyone ever heard of anything like this. Casserly told me that he thinks the problem is that he put the wrong kind of locktite on the bolts that hold the solenoid down. Do you think its possible that he got my order mixed up on the second one and sent me a different size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM

I doubt it .
Old 02-09-2011, 05:29 PM

Does nobody else find that odd? I would think that a set of injectors like that would perform the same and as far as power goes they are similar. But the FP thing has to be injector related.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM

If you are seeing HIGHER fuel pressure at WOT than at lower speeds, then it isn't injectors. It is a bad reading or something to do with your pump.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

So, Cass sent you a set of replacement injectors, and you think he didn't do you right?

I'm just tryin to get this strait.

I think your truck smoked and loped with the first set because Cass let a bad set slip out of his shop.

End of story...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
So, Cass sent you a set of replacement injectors, and you think he didn't do you right?

I'm just tryin to get this strait.

I think your truck smoked and loped with the first set because Cass let a bad set slip out of his shop.

End of story...
No I do not think that. Cass has been awesome and I have no complaints with how he has handled things. I'm just the kind of person that likes to know exactly what causes things like this. I just wanted to see what some of you guys thought because you can't deny that it isnt weird. The truck was a monster with the first set too and ran great until the solenoid bolts came undone or snapped. I just cant figure out why there would be a 10psi difference in my fuel pressure and why the truck would sound different at startup. I bought 190s, obviously I'm not too concerned with my truck rolling some coal. But now it hardly smokes at all. You can't blame me for being a little skeptical and I'm not knocking Cass at all. I just dont want to rule anything out. I talked to him on the phone earlier and he is interested too and said that after he breaks the old set down he will call me and let me know if he sees anything out of the ordinary.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

So, you have less power now too?

Try reloading your tune.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvyrkr81 View Post
So, you have less power now too?

Try reloading your tune.
Power is all good, my tranny isnt taking it too well thats what my only problem is now. I would just like to know what could possibly be so different about this new set of injectors that would cause a FP difference and sound at startup. Also my egt's dont rise as quickly and they cool alot faster. For example, say I pulled into my parking lot after regular driving. On the first set I would be sitting at around 450-500. On this new set its pretty much right at 400 or lower as soon as I put it in park. On his 190's do they all come with the same nozzles? I notice some guys saying on here they have cass 190's with 100 over nozzles. I never requested that so maybe on this new set the nozzles are different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.