Hesitating Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hesitating Start

I have a 2006 F250 Lariat with 90,000 miles on it. Bought it used about 8 months ago so I'm not sure of any mods to it. The problem I am having is last week the temp here in SD got down to -20 range. Truck started fine then make it to an intersection aobut a mile from the house and fuel gelled. I cranked on it for a bit(I know this isn't the best thing to do) and finally got it started, added more Howes and had no other problems for the rest of the day. Go to start it the next day, wait for wait to start light to go out, turn the key and nothing, no click no nothing. Radio, accessories, everything else works, just nothing when I turn the key. After trying for another 5 min, finally fires right up. No problems for the rest of the day. Then next day same exact thing. No click or anything, radio etc. work. 5 min of trying, then fire and no more problems rest of day. Has been doing this everyday. Had batteries, and starter checked and they are good. The temp got into the 40's last Friday and it started fine that morning, but when temp dropped again same thing since. Any suggestions? Haven't checked fuzes yet but going to do that at lunch. -9 here this morning so didn't feel like checking first thing. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 05:28 AM
Premium Member

Welcome tot he site man. You can learn a ton of things here about the trucks.

Only thing i have to offer to your issue is are you hearing a buzzing when you turn the key on?

That is the injectors cycling and if they arnt cycling you wont start. Cold causes stiction which basically means the injectors stick and wont fire fuel.

You might need to get some Rev X and install that. Also check in the front bumper area for the heater block plug and use it.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The other thing that someone mentioned recently, was that their relay seemed to be freezing up in the extreme cold. It may test fine when it is warmer, but actually be frozen when it is cold and not allow it to start.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Truck gets plugged in, and block heater is working and buzzing and everything working like normal too. Thanks for the site welcome. Were would i find the relay you mentioned?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well it ended up being the FICM which is covered under factory warranty. Ford tech also said that the starter is loosing voltage, I think that's what he said, and that the left battery is losing charge and the right is dead. I just had the batteries checked 2 days ago at interstate batteries and they said they were both good. Is is possible that they are low on charge from them recreating the no start problem and they just need to be driven and recharged by the system? I'm changing the starter as they wanted $570+ to replace it.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would honestly be more suspect of how the battery place "tested" them. Putting a volt meter on them is not actually testing them.

With that said, have you gotten the truck back yet? How does it start? New batteries can be had for less than 80 bucks each, and it pretty quick to put them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.