Trouble shooting for my supervisor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 09:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble shooting for my supervisor

Hey all-

I am trying to help out my boss and earn some brownie points. He has a 2006 F350 6.0 that is bone stock. He doesn't monitor his EOT/ECT (working on getting him to buy an Edge), and he is having some issues with the truck. Currently, his CEL is on and he took it to the Ford dealer. The dealer recommended a new FICM, Fuel PSI regulator, #2 Injector, air and fuel filters, and a unison ring. Anyway, we work in a pretty high altitude at 9100 ft above sea level. This past weekend, he drove the truck to Denver (5280 ft), and the CEL turned off and the truck ran like a raped ape. Upon returning to altitude and turning the truck off for the night, it ran horribly the next day. My boss describes the symptoms as "chugging" at WOT, and the turbo not sounding "right" even though the turbo is getting boost. I am kinda stumped with the fact that the truck ran great at a lower altitude. Any ideas? My thoughts were a cam sensor, but I am a rookie to diesels.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Premium Member

Only thing that comes to mind is the MAP sensor.

Check this link out

http://www.ehow.com/how_4478865_trou...ap-sensor.html

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm

Last edited by mmandley; 02-08-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

What DTC (code) did he get w/ the CEL?

How long has it been since the air and fuel filters were changed (and what filters were used)?

The fuel pressure regulator spring is a necessity IMO. Do it yourself or get it done. Of course it is always better to have gauges, but almost everyone I know w/ the original spring does not maintain the proper pressure at WOT.

Since he has a 2006, he should have a boost gauge. What is it doing?

You can read up on how to test the FICM voltages if you are interested. A quick search will bring up what you need.

You might also need a new Baro sensor. MAP/BARO/EBP should all read the same at KOEO.

It is possible that the turbo needs cleaning - possibly a new unison ring, but they can't know until they (or you) inspect.

Last edited by bismic; 02-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 PM

Bismic, I will get with him and get those details. I pulled his DTCs with my Edge, but I lost the piece of paper I wrote them down on. As far as I know, his boost guage is acting normally, but he says his turbo sounds "different" with less whistle. I will do the FICM test for him provided I can borrow an autogenuity (sp?) from a parts store. When his truck is back at work (he is out of town), I will pull those DTCs and post them in this thread. Thanks, guys!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All you need to check the FICM out is a Volt meter or a Multi meter. Everybody should have one of them in their tool box.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I totally looked at the title and read:
Quote:
Trouble shooting my supervisor

Last edited by ToMang07; 02-09-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like a rusty unison ring causing the vanes to stick in the turbo. You should be able to pull it out and clean it up with a resurfacing kit. Check this link.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

truck runs fine at lower alt. sooooo. its a air and fuel presure problems need more of both air presure and fuel presure. 1st new air filter and fuel presure regulator spring upgrade and do the banjo bolts also. 2nd clean egr valve and run ceatane boost in every tank of fuel. then check codes for things like map, baro, exhaust backpresure,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.