Big Brother - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Big Brother

Well, its happening tomorow. The company I work for is putting a gps in my truck. Its not just me it's company wide, and because I take a truck allowance and have a company fuel card they want to watch my truck. Needless to say no one is happy, but do I have anything to be concerned about? I just dont want someone hacking up my wiring. Anyone else have big brother in their truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
We use them at work but we have them in the company phones. A lotta guys drive personal rigs and they have a company phone to clock in and out on with gps

Like above....there has got to be a legality about your personal rig being watched....
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Premium Member

Can you use your truck for other things besides work?

As far as hacking your wiring, it depends on what they are tracking. Just location? No worries.

Deeper? Fuel mileage? Hours of operation? Speed? Then they will have to tie into the computer. Will they tap directly into the OBD port or another place? Depends on the unit.

Most units are pretty easy on the wiring. How many different types of trucks do they "have"?

Might want to request information on what they are going to install and research that direction. Until I knew for sure, I wouldn't want them to touch it. But, that's just me. And I'm not in your boat as far as employment.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM

I saw the unit today, doesnt plug into obd, just a mess of loose wires that ties into their harness, and then into a garmin display. And yes they are tracking everything.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 PM
The Silent Service

I'm just gonna say this... (I replied than deleted my first response).

If that truck is your property, regardless if they pay you to operate it (quote "and because I take a truck allowance and have a company fuel card"). That's not the company's truck.

I would get all the required documentation of what the company is installing. Check your local laws, to see if they can "By Law" require this mod. And more importantly, terminate your employment if you fail to comply.

Last edited by colo_dually; 02-07-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exclamation

if they pay any part of it and or accure expenses due to/ or from it then they have a right to know why/where/ and when. we do and will. fuel is for work related driving only. running to the store and around town for little errands no biggie. but going on trips on our fuel--NO NO--.

in a garmen they can track everything except fuel which we track thru mileage. closely. also know when the truck is on or off. idling or moving. and if unhooked then the person is repramended. in your case no allowance or fuel card. sounds bad but it is warranted to show expenses.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
'Merica

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

They just installed GPS tracking into our work vans also. Unfortunately, they still didnt give us GPS display units
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Sounds like a great tool for micro-management. The website is full of testimonials by owners on how much money they saved once they started watching those evil employees. Great way to reduce overtime, and increase billing. The worst part is I'm a superintendant my truck sits all day, except for lunch.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:07 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by one92rs View Post
if they pay any part of it and or accure expenses due to/ or from it then they have a right to know why/where/ and when. we do and will. fuel is for work related driving only. running to the store and around town for little errands no biggie. but going on trips on our fuel--NO NO--.

in a garmen they can track everything except fuel which we track thru mileage. closely. also know when the truck is on or off. idling or moving. and if unhooked then the person is repramended. in your case no allowance or fuel card. sounds bad but it is warranted to show expenses.
I'd like to see the law statues that allow a company the pays "for any part of it and or accure expenses", that allows this invasion of privacy of a personal automobile of any kind. That's too much information being tracked on a rig that's not owned by the company. If the company uses their own fleet, then by all means, install whatever equipment to track your expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox'sFord View Post
Sounds like a great tool for micro-management. The website is full of testimonials by owners on how much money they saved once they started watching those evil employees. Great way to reduce overtime, and increase billing. The worst part is I'm a superintendant my truck sits all day, except for lunch.
Still didn't answer if this truck is registered to you, or if its the company's?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If it was something you can easily hand back to them at the end of the day I would say fine.. but tracking my personal activities outside of work I say no way! I mean what if you like to frequent brothels, or strip clubs??? They have no need for that information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.