Need experienced advice before buying a truck... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need experienced advice before buying a truck...

Looking at an 06 f250. Truck has 43000 miles on a mostly stock 6.0. Has a Green Filter intake and a 4" exhaust. I followed the advice in this forum while looking at the truck. Guy tells me he had just had the turbo removed and cleaned and other than the dirty turbo, has never had a problem with the truck. I'm looking around the engine bay and notice that the erg valve is unplugged and that there is a little bit of white coolant residue around the cap on the degas bottle. I asked the guy about the residue and he tells me that he had just flushed the system and spilled a little coolant on the bottle. The coolant bottle has no crud in the bottom of it and the coolant is nice and gold... Pulled the oil fill cap while itmwas running and only got a little bit of steam, no blow by. I know the unplugged erg makes for a cheap delete, but the residue bothers me. I drove the truck about 20 miles and drove it hard. Truck never smoked or puked coolantl. Truck also ran pretty well except for a slight exhaust rattle from a loose tailpipe.

My question for you guys with the experience, should I question the residue with thoughts of overheating? Or should I buy the truck, do the erg delete and oil cooler rebuild, and see where it takes me? I would've figured it would smoke or miss a little if there was a headgasket issue? Also, the oil was nice and black, so no milkshake motor...

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Go to any Ford dealership with the vin number, and ask them for an Oasis report. Its free, and will list any repairs done to the truck while under warranty. CarFax is always a good idea too. It'll tell you whether its been in a wreck, and how many owners its had.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is a 2 owner truck. Car-fax showed it was in a sideswip accident. The owner showed me a picture of the damage before it was fixed. Truck shows no signs of being in a wreck now.

The oasis report shows the rear main seal being the only thing fixed under warranty. The only oil drip I could find was on the back of the drivers side head. From what I've read, this is the icp sensor needing replaced. Other than that the truck seems solid.

I guess my main question is would there be a definite sign that there is headgasket damage? (ie. Smoke out tailpipe, water in oil) or do you just have to put a pressure gauge on it to know?

Kris
Old 02-06-2011, 06:57 AM

White smoke out the tailpipe, coolant smells like diesel, water in the oil, coolant puking out of the degas bottle.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, I'm hoping the residue on the bottle is from the guy possibly over filling it, as this truck does not have the disregard sticker on the bottle. It did not puke while I was driving it and the coolant was at the correct level. I drove it pretty hard so I imagine it wouldve puked if it has a problem.

By the way, I really appreciate your help! This will be my first diesel and I don't particularly want to buy someone's problem!

Kris

Last edited by Krisco; 02-06-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 AM

After being in your shoes (buying my first diesel), I have a valued recommendation. If you know your gonna be buying a Ford, go buy an Edge Insight. It plugs into the OBDII port, and monitors crucial temps. The three most important temps are EOT (Engine Oil Temp), ECT (Engine Coolant Temp), and EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp). Take it with you for test drives, and it'll give you a good idea of what your buying. The Edges covers a broad range of years and models, so it's not vehicle specific.

Just an FYI, just cuz the head gaskets seemed fine on a test drive, doesn't mean they are. My buddy bought an 06 about a month ago. It drove fine, but the first time he hooked his toy hauler up to it, it puked coolant and blew white smoke. Head gaskets, EGR Cooler, and Oil Cooler were toast.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I had plan on buying a cts anyway, but wasn't going to do it until after I bought the truck. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it knowing I may have to do the studs and hg's. He said the dealership only offered him 16,500 for it on trade in on a new 6.7. He went ahead and bought the 6.7 and now he needs to sell his 6.0. I told him I'd give him 19k, he said he'd take it if I bring him a check Monday. I do gas engine mechanics on the side, so I know the truck is in great shape, just don't have much knowledge on the 6.0 and it's behaviors.

Kris
Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Unplugging the egr valve does nothing to help the real problem which is the egr cooler. Like mah77 said, if you know you are going to buy a powerstroke go buy an Edge Insight to take with you when checking out the truck. Plug it in to the OBDII port and monitor the ECT and EOT. Take it for a good 20 minute ride to get it warmed up good. Get it to cruising speed of 65 or so and monitor the temps. The EOT should be no more than 15* higher than the ECT. If it is the oil cooler needs rebuilding. In most cases the difference will be less than 10*.

If you do get it, swap the coolant for a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant immediately an you will have eliminated one of the biggest problems with the 6.0.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisco View Post

......... The only oil drip I could find was on the back of the drivers side head. From what I've read, this is the icp sensor needing replaced. ........

Kris
Since you said this truck is an 06, the ICP sensor is actually on the valve cover on the Passenger side of the truck near the front under the alternator. The oil might be another issue.

ICP picture, low center of picture:

Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What would be on the back of the driver's side head that would leak oil? I doubt it's the valve cover, as there is not smoke. It's not much oil, just enough to form a small bubble hanging off the head. I have a chevy 337 race motor that leaks way worse and still runs like a raped ape! Lol however I know this has nothing to do with a 6.0...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.