Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2006 to 2008 conversions with pics

99K views 70 replies 32 participants last post by  moparman_91 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thought i would keep ya updated on the process.. HCO has an in depth sticky on this in the 7.3 section, and Extreme has one too... i will only try to focus on the things that are a bit different or, at least i did different..... Special to thanks to those two for the great threads, and the much advice over the last month.

Already did the rear, tailgate, tail lights, bumper, there is already "how to" do tailgate thread, tail lights thread, and mirror thread. Thanks so much to those who went first and left the good info...

For the front, tear it down, fenders, hood, grille, bumper, the fiberglass grille support and headlights, the wiper cowl, wiper motor and transmission .. all of it

Next should be the fender install.... but first i wanted to prep the frame for welding because i have a friend helping me this week do frame work.. the bottom line is an 08 bumper needs to mount 2 inches lower then a 99-07, some guys have cut the frame different ways... I am going to mount this bad johny, so I am trying to do a professional custom fab:
Road Armor Stealth for 2008-10 Superduty

So to do this, i cut off the frame plates to expose bare frame: this is how the end of an 08 frame looks, they dont have the plates welded on like we do, an 08 has half a plate and its bolt on, not welded...:

The plate i ground the welds and knocked off:

and this is the bracket that will make the end of my frame match up to the road armor, need to mount it about 1" lower then flush with the top of the frame, It is sitting on frame upside down right now, just so i could show it, the top is open and would not rest on frame as it is right now, so i just flipped it upside down to give a general idea... i dont think i will have to notch the frame at all, just weld this bracket underneath witch provides 2" lower mounting holes, the top of the road armor bumper should sit flush on the top of the frame rails( ie. inside top of bumper will be resting on frame rails) then box and gusset it:

Thats where i left off, my friend and i will be welding this week, until he gets free time, i will jump to installing the fenders next, over next few days, will keep ya posted if anyone is interested...

JJ

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW!! Looks like you'll be busy. Subscribed.

#3 ·
Looking like fun. And you have ELC! lol.....

Cant wait to see the finished product.

#4 ·
Very excited to see this . I am still thinking about doing this as well . I want to change the inner fender supports too so that I don't have to shim the fenders either .

#14 ·
+1

:thumb:

#15 ·
Looking great cant wait to see the front end together. :thumb:

#16 ·
i cant wait to tackle this project this summer(hopefully)!

you selling you old bumper and grill? i pay cash

#17 · (Edited)
This is a ton of work and not for faint at heart... ton of hours... here is some updates:
Frame work as of this morning, kind of shows where an 08 frame sits compared to ours, we did all the work in order to handle a road armor winch bumper, so it had to be built, in order to just use a stocker it would be less work.... im going to box and gusset the frame in where it is cut tomorrow and call it done. I will shows pics once completed

have to trim fenders a bit:

pic of them mounted:

This is a real pain, have to put in an 08 wiper transmission, the bolts dont line up, this took a coulple hours, you can see where it is bolted and how. also had to cut the 08 mount a bit... unlike the early trucks, my 06 had same motor as an 08, so no rewiring..

Cowl on

bumper on for test fit:

more to come...

#18 ·
Can't wait to see more progress! Going to be sweet! Those brackets came out great btw.

#20 ·
You're moving along pretty fast. I see you've got all yer funds wrapped up in the conversion, so yer usin a tree stump for a shop stool. :hehe:

What's up with the new cowl piece? The picture was kind of bright so I'm guessing it's an aftermarket piece? Is the difference that it's smoothed out?

#22 ·
frame completed:

space out the hood latch, chop off the lever

spend a few hours cutting and modifing 08 hood hinges to fit.... our hood hinges will not clear the wiper cowl as they open, 08 hinges are needed, but had to notch them in multiple places and weld an extension in one area, here is a pic, we will clean them up in the end, still just setting everything in place.

sooo much left to do. Overall it is more time consuming then i thought, each step is slowed by the amount of fabrication that has to be done. The 08 has more differences then I thought

#23 ·
wow is all i can say. What kind of work do you do for a living? I mean the fabrication work and such that your doing is first rate and doesn't look like some guy just winging his way threw a mod.

It looks like you know what your doing with all the welding and measuring to line stuff up and everything. Or you must have a body man helper lol.

#29 ·
Great looking build....the bumper looks like it is sitting awfully low?
is the frame really that much lower on an 08 than a 06?

props to the build...i dont have that kind of patience

#28 ·
is there a filler panel above the road armor bunper? ive been looking at front end replacements and been really wanting a frontier unit because it replaces the filler on the 05-07 trucks and dosent look like they did it as a after thought similar to the ranch hand grill guards

#30 ·
lubbock...get a frontier...thats the best looking replacement ive seen of the 08's...im going to get a bull nose one in march

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.