How long can you drive in 4x4 low? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How long can you drive in 4x4 low?

How long could you drive the truck in 4x4 low mode? Also is 4x4 high the best to use when the streets is snow and icy? How long could you drive in 4x4 high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Din View Post
How long could you drive the truck in 4x4 low mode? Also is 4x4 high the best to use when the streets is snow and icy? How long could you drive in 4x4 high?

As far as I'm concerned:

4x4 Lo is for under 25mph, and very poor conditions.

4x4 hi or lo should NEVER be used on normal driving conditions, or it will wear on your drivetrain. Never use 4x4 over 45mph... if the roads are bad enough you need it you shouldn't be going that fast!

4x4 hi is intended for loose/slippery surfaces, such as snow/ice, mud, etc, and should not be used for extended periods of time. (Long road trips.)

I use mine for when I am plowing, or when off-roading, (only in mud/loose terrain) or driving in very poor conditions. (6+" of snow.)

Even in poor conditions, I usually leave it in 4x2.... only in really BAD conditions will I drive on the roads in 4x4.

These are the guidelines I use... IMHO.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
added some comments to clarify a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post

As far as I'm concerned:

4x4 Lo is for under 25mph, and very poor conditions.
yep, i only use low if high isn't moving me

4x4 hi or lo should NEVER be used on normal driving conditions, or it will wear on your drivetrain. Never use 4x4 over 45mph... if the roads are bad enough you need it you shouldn't be going that fast!
you can go faster than 45 mph in high (owners manual should give you the details your looking for), but he is correct if you can go 45 you probably don't need 4wd. i'd switch in and out as needed, only switch in and out if your at a steady speed (front and rear tires spinning at same rate of speed), if your rear tires are spinning on ice and you engage probably going to see some parts flying,

4x4 hi is intended for loose/slippery surfaces, such as snow/ice, mud, etc, and should not be used for extended periods of time. (Long road trips.)
no time limit on how long it can be engaged, if your on a slippery trail you can stay in 4wd if that's what you feel more comfortable in

I use mine for when I am plowing, or when off-roading, (only in mud/loose terrain) or driving in very poor conditions. (6+" of snow.)

Even in poor conditions, I usually leave it in 4x2.... only in really BAD conditions will I drive on the roads in 4x4.

These are the guidelines I use... IMHO.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 AM

There is no guideline about how long to use 4wd. Use it as needed. If you can get around in 2wd, then do it, no matter what the conditions are. 4wd isn't magic, it just turns more tires. If you lose control in 4wd its less predictable then if you lose control in 2wd. If you're having traction issues in 2wd, then try 4hi. That is your best bet, but it shouldn't be an automatic for driving on ice or snow. The truck is very capable without 4wd. Tires are the limiting factor to your traction.

4LO doesn't add any additional ability to the truck than 4hi did, it just provides lower gearing. Your tires will turn faster with less throttle input, it does nothing to make the truck more capable. It isn't stronger or better. If you're not sure when to use 4LO, then don't. You don't need it.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:51 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I use my low if I am working in someones yard and dont want to use a lot of throttle (to keep grass nice). Also, if I am using my truck to really move stuff. For example, I pulled some really deep poles out of the ground, Low was great, not much more than idle to yank them out.

High is used when it is crappy out. If there is a lot of snow, I am in high.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:52 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
P.S. My Nitto Terra Graplers suck and I need 4x4 a lot more than I did with my BFs or even my goodyears.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPFD217 View Post
The truck is very capable without 4wd. Tires are the limiting factor to your traction.
Very True.
4LO doesn't add any additional ability to the truck than 4hi did, it just provides lower gearing. Your tires will turn SLOWER with less throttle input, it does nothing to make the truck more capable. It isn't stronger or better. If you're not sure when to use 4LO, then don't. You don't need it.
4x4lo is going to make the tires turn SLOWER, as the gear is lower, and the engine will have to spin much faster to turn the tires. Think of it as driving in 2nd vs. 1st gear... 2nd you will go faster at lower RPM's. 1st gear you can go fast, but the RPM's will be much higher, and also there will be more power to the wheels. Same principle to 4x4lo. I dont think you could go above 30 in 4x4lo without blowing your heads out!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Din View Post
You can drive as long as you want in any setting. But if you can go into 2x4 do that to keep the longevity up from ware and tare.

Driving in a situation where you have to go slow. Start in 2x4. If you get stuck then you have 4x4high or 4x4low to get you out. If you start in any 4x4 and you get stuck, then you are stuck. The difference between low and high is only the gear ratio, there are no traction adjustments.

If you need 4x4 and are driving under 20 allot, use 4x4 low to keep trans temps down proper rpms for the engine to keep it from lugging around in first and second gear.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 PM

4lo is meant for situations where you are stuck and need a lot of torque to get moving again. It should not be used over 25mph in any 4lo equipped vehicle. If you read the owners manual I'm sure it says that as well. Good info Mango
Old 02-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTski4x4 View Post
4lo is meant for situations where you are stuck and need a lot of torque to get moving again. But not for when you are slipping. Once the tires slip in any 4x4 situation, switching between the 2 settings will not regain tire traction. It should not be used over 25mph in any 4lo equipped vehicle. If you read the owners manual I'm sure it says that as well. Good info Mango
comments^^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.