how long can you let the 6.0 idle for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how long can you let the 6.0 idle for?

just bought a 06 ccsb. everybody says its not good to let them idle to long. well what is to long 30mins? hour? need some input thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Serving Our Country!

Ford refers to extended idling as anything over 10-minutes. This puts the truck into "special operating conditions." They similarly identify low speed operation, low temperature operation, high dust conditions operations...

Here is where you can get these factors:

https://powerstrokediesel.com/index....=305#intervals

Ultimately these are conditions that would be best addressed with shortened fluid and filter exchange intervals and increased monitoring of system temperatures.

Don't mistake the identification of extended idling as justification for failure to allow the vehicle to properly warm up before demanding high load performance. The high-idle modification may be used to mitigate some of the negative effects of low-RPM idling (not eliminate...but reduce)...

Hope this helps!

Jonathan
Old 02-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Take everything with a grain of salt...the previous poster referred to "Ford" saying certain things...these are the same people that recommend FORD GOLD COOLANT which is pathetic, especially for 6.0s. As long as you "get on it" every now and then, you'll be able to clean out SOME of the soot that can build up while idling.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

Ultimately, the soot build up is secondary to the fuel dilution and blow-by past piston rings in frequent extended idling situations. The Ford engineers that make the observations of the "special operating conditions" are the same engineers that advocate the proper maintenance of coolant (Premium Gold) as specified by the manufacturer...there is no doubt though that the exchange interval for coolant is way off. Recognizing that, it is widely recommended by diesel engine manufacturers (Caterpillar to be pre-eminent) to check coolant condition for pH, freeze point, nitrite levels, and molybdate levels (if applicable) twice a year (before it gets cold, before it gets hot). Testing of coolant may be accomplished by the use of a refractometer, specific gravity meter, and/or FleetGuard test strips. The best way to determine the condition of engine oil, transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, etc. is through spectrometal analysis from a laboratory. The levels of fuel dilution, wear metals, additives, viscosity may not be monitored by old-fashioned "sniff testing" and regular sampling may help determine if the "special operating conditions" are relevant for a particular vehicle or not.

Grain of salt and all.

Jonathan
Old 02-03-2011, 05:15 PM

I typically only let mine idle for 5 minutes before I pull away. But. I rarely see temps below 30* in the winter.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:34 PM
The Silent Service

Normal winter driving, I limit myself to no more than 10 mins of idle, and drive it under 2000rpms and 10 psi untill temps are up to normal. Unless I'm starting in sub-zero temps. then I'll let her idle till the needle comes off cold. With diesels there are consequences to idleing longer than that, and maintenance to be done. Also, on the other side when you park, I'll let mine idle till the EGT's get at or below 400*.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
right now mine idles 10 or so minutes when i leave for school everyday. putting the plows on and loading salt they may idle for 30mins or so. just kinda depends. we do this with our '10 6.4 our '04 6.0 and the our old 7.3. we have never had any problems. we change our fluids and filters earlier than needed but thats just preventative maintenance. mainly only idles in cold weather and in the cold the truck idles up by its self so who knows. all i know is i dont drive my truck cold. it just doesnt seem like that can be good for it. if i have to take off cold i go real easy. but it also could help that none of our trucks get babied. there work trucks and im not afraid to put hammer down.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:15 PM

This is where the High idle mod can help
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I idle a lot more than average and have done so since I have owned the truck. No problems.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Google " Wet Stacking"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.