First oil change? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Question First oil change?

OK guys im gonna do my first oil change in my truck Friday

Ive had the truck about a month and half. when i bought it they changed oil for me. i dont know what kind of oil they put in it or what kind of filter that kinda scares me so im going to do a change. oh yea Ive got 3300 miles on the oil.

im pretty sure im going to put Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w-40 in it and motor craft filter

is there any special procedure to changing the oil? Ive never changed oil in a diesel. (vehicle wise)
any help is apriciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
OK guys im gonna do my first oil change in my truck Friday

Ive had the truck about a month and half. when i bought it they changed oil for me. i dont know what kind of oil they put in it or what kind of filter that kinda scares me so im going to do a change. oh yea Ive got 3300 miles on the oil.

im pretty sure im going to put Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5w-40 in it and motor craft filter

is there any special procedure to changing the oil? Ive never changed oil in a diesel. (vehicle wise)
any help is apriciated
Get a 36mm socket to remove the oil filter cap. Makes it a lot easier. 3/4" socket or wrench to remove drain plug. I always let my truck run 5-10 minutes before changing, especially if it's cold out. Helps it drain faster.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM

I got another question. So does rotelka come on 4qt jugs or 5qt I need 15qt right?2003 6.0 And does it take all 15? I need to know how much to buy. I'm new to all of this

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM

Fully loosen the filter cap and leave it in the filter housing so it drains. Drop the drain plug and let it drain fully. Reinstall the drain plug, it's a good idea to replace the copper drain plug washer. Replace your filter and replace the cap O-ring with the new one. Lube the O-ring with a bit of oil and snug it down.

Also a good idea to drain your fuel/water separator. You will need a 6mm allen key to remove the drain bolt.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
I got another question. So does rotelka come on 4qt jugs or 5qt I need 15qt right?2003 6.0 And does it take all 15? I need to know how much to buy. I'm new to all of this

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Buy 4 1 gallon jugs and you should have 1 qt. left over.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 AM

On your next oil change get one of these works great
QuickOilDrainValve.com - the best way to change oil
When you chage your fuel filters next time get one of these to ease your pain
Diesel Technician Society
Use Ford filter (oil-fuel-trans-air) only or Racor they make the ford filter.
Hope this helps
2 stroker
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 PM

well pulled it in the shop today and changed it. i was pretty easy. bought 4 gal of t6 and motorcraft filter. $125 ouch!!!

and i should have took a pic of the filter that was in it. defiantly not a motorcraft. some limp pos./ oil didn't look to bad. glad i changed it, especially with that filter. also while i was under there i drained the water/ fuel separator

so how often do you guys change your oil? i thought i read somewhere 10,000 miles but i dont like that at all. but what do i know
Old 02-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
well pulled it in the shop today and changed it. i was pretty easy. bought 4 gal of t6 and motorcraft filter. $125 ouch!!!

and i should have took a pic of the filter that was in it. defiantly not a motorcraft. some limp pos./ oil didn't look to bad. glad i changed it, especially with that filter. also while i was under there i drained the water/ fuel separator

so how often do you guys change your oil? i thought i read somewhere 10,000 miles but i dont like that at all. but what do i know
I change mine every 5k. I don't know where you buy your oil and filters but I get all of my stuff from Advance Auto Parts for around $80
Old 02-04-2011, 05:26 AM

Change it at 5k. Only go over that if you have the oil analysis done. But 5k is a pretty safe bet even with dino oil. My truck is pushing 100k on dino oil only with the oil changed religiously at 5k with no stiction problems whatsoever. Also, as was stated earlier, stick with the motorcraft or racor filters.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Don't you worry about it

I second the quick drain valve. It makes changing and sampling oil so much better, and cleaner. I do miss the canister filter of the good 'ole 7.3. I hate this cartridge filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.