Dieselsite Coolant Filter Install Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dieselsite Coolant Filter Install Question

Howdy,

Hope I'm posting this in the right spot. Doing a lot of reading on getting the ford gold crap out of my 05' 6.0 and replacing with ELC.

Does any one know how much extra coolant you'd need to add on average to factor for the extra line and the volume added by the filter. Just want to know so I have enough concentrate on hand when I do the flush.

Also, Is it OK to install the coolant filter during the flush, right before I add the new coolant?? Just want to make sure there wouldnt be a better time to do the install.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 06:46 PM

I would do the install after, just me not a tech, now, if you really want me to I can go to my truck and get measurements of tubes and figure the amount of coolant but here is a guess instead, buy an extra gallon.

Last edited by Jayson41; 02-02-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM
information regurgitator

The coolant filter will only swallow about 1 quart of fluid.
I would stick the filtration system on the truck after. Don't see the need to filter coolant your going to dump. If you got the extra valves you could hang it anytime you want, just open the valves after your done with the flush.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:57 AM
Premium Member

I too would install the filter after. The volume of the filter system is not going to be enough to worry about. You should have some undiluted coolant left over when your done the change. When you add the filter, if your level drops enough to warrant it, just mix up a little and add it in. It won't be much.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 AM

Thanks guys! For the record, I was thinking of installing the filter immediately after my last flush. Definitely didn't want to filter the old junk! Appreciate your advice!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Family Man View Post
Thanks guys! For the record, I was thinking of installing the filter immediately after my last flush. Definitely didn't want to filter the old junk! Appreciate your advice!

Good looking truck dude

And you have some good advice there
Old 02-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You should have 4 gallons of ELC concentrate on hand for the change over anyway. You won't need any more than that. After your last drain add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. That should give you a 50/50 mix. Add distilled water to your .5 gallon of remaining ELC and that will give you 1 gallon of 50/50 premix ELC. Use that to top up your cooling system as needed and maintain your 50/50 mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.