First UOA - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to JWJR Send a message via Yahoo to JWJR
First UOA

Just got back the results of my first UOA. i though it looked alright but i'm i would though i would ask here to see what yall thought. this was probably out sixth consecutive use of VPB. and we switched it to VPBE 5w-40 after sample was taken.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 10:05 PM

I agree with what they said about ware with the iron at 23 with only 4,700 miles. Maybe try a different oil and see if you get better ware results. My first test was with ford 15w-40 and I had 19 for iron and 2 for lead at 5,200 miles on the oil, look at my attachment. My truck was at 62,000 or so when I send it in. But yours looks good!

How many miles do you have on your truck? How do you use you truck?

My next test will be with mobil 1 5w-40 at 7,000 miles. I have 4,000 so far. Depending on the results I hope I can go farther than 7,000 on this oil
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E29605 (2).pdf (30.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
I agree with what they said about ware with the iron at 23 with only 4,700 miles. Maybe try a different oil and see if you get better ware results. My first test was with ford 15w-40 and I had 19 for iron and 2 for lead at 5,200 miles on the oil, look at my attachment. My truck was at 62,000 or so when I send it in. But yours looks good!

How many miles do you have on your truck? How do you use you truck?

My next test will be with mobil 1 5w-40 at 7,000 miles. I have 4,000 so far. Depending on the results I hope I can go farther than 7,000 on this oil
i wish there averages were better than that they are so that a guy that has no real idea how to read them could have a decent idea of what he is looking at.

it been ran with Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 since we got it but we switched to Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 on that oil change so the truck would start up better on these cold days and I think i have dad sold on synthic oil in his truck as it starts up better and over all sounds quieter.

the truck has about 106k on it and it is used as dads daily driver add as i can tell is stock. we tow with it a bit but usually never gets worse than our 20 ft pontoon boat. we got the truck with 70k on it and i have no clue how the first owner used or maintained it, but the truck was clean when we got it. i plan on doing UOA after this oil change so hopefully it will look a little better.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJR View Post
i wish there averages were better than that they are so that a guy that has no real idea how to read them could have a decent idea of what he is looking at.

it been ran with Valvoline Premium Blue 15w-40 since we got it but we switched to Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 on that oil change so the truck would start up better on these cold days and I think i have dad sold on synthic oil in his truck as it starts up better and over all sounds quieter.

the truck has about 106k on it and it is used as dads daily driver add as i can tell is stock. we tow with it a bit but usually never gets worse than our 20 ft pontoon boat. we got the truck with 70k on it and i have no clue how the first owner used or maintained it, but the truck was clean when we got it. i plan on doing UOA after this oil change so hopefully it will look a little better.
Since you egr system is fully functioning, you will have shorter oil life and slightly more ware results compared to having a modified or deleted system. That might be the reason why you have higher iron.

I had to do the same thing with my father also
Old 02-03-2011, 09:14 AM

What does have a functioning EGR system have to do with shorter oil life and higher wear metals(FE)?

My 07 has all emmisions equipment intact and UOA wear numbers are low and I also run 7,500 OCI's.

To the OP, your FE number isn't high, it is higher than my 07, but by any stretch it isn't too high.
On 7,500 OCI's my FE number is usually between 9 and 11.

There are several UOA's posted in the "10w-30 you'll probably like this" thread, including mine.

Last edited by roadrunner; 02-03-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
What does have a functioning EGR system have to do with shorter oil life and higher wear
From the engine standpoint, it is a dirtier combustion. Putting diesel exhasut back into the cylinder is ugly by any means for the engine. The many pictures of egr valves is a clear sign of what goes in the cylinders.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:00 AM

From a UOA standpoint I don't see the functioning EGR system being the culprit.

The UOA posted here looks very good, other than slightly low viscosity at less than 5,000 mi. I would expect a high quality oil as VPB to stay within a 40wt. grade.

Driving conditions/driving style, fuel quality, and a host of other variables has more of an impact on what a UOA will show. The last couple of flashes from ford addressed the EGR issues with the 6.0.
As a comparision my 04 had 3 egr valves replaced by 50,000mi., my 07 at 122,000 mi. has never had the egr valve removed, and stellar UOA's.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:35 PM

so what would the viscoucity of the oil compare to? also would be highish iron content be due to the cold temps between 10 and 30 degress, for the last 2 months, with no block heater? just got the block heater going...the cord was shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.