Lazy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lazy

Ok, I finally bought me a 6.0 after 4 days of solid looking and dealing with too many dealerships. This is the second time I bought the very first vehicle I looked at after spending countless days trying to find one that is comparable to it. I guess next time I will buy the first vehicle and not look to beat that deal.

Anyhow, since I am wore out from the pressure of finding the perfect vehicle I have now become too lazy to research info on the truck.
My question (finally!:
1.What does SCT mean (I know it is a tuner) do you install as permanant like a chip or is it a download?
2.What is all this talk of EGR? What does it stand for?
3.Why is the turbo soo big? Ok never mind I like it, boosts of 35lbs without a tuner, yeah I like it!

And any other rookie info you want to add. I am coming from a DP Tuned 7.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Congrats on the purchase. Not a 6.0 man but someone can shed some light on that stuff for ya!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Congrats on the new rig. I'll try to help you out.

1. The SCT downloads a new file to your computer, so it doesn't have shift on the fly capabilities, but it's the "poo" from what others have said
2. The EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation and basically recycles some of your exhaust gas back into the engine to burn up all remaining particulates and reduce your emissions. Prior to pumping it back into your engine, it is cooled by the EGR cooler, but due to high exhaust gas temps, sometimes the EGR cooler will boil over and puke coolant.
3. You already answered that one.

HTH
Old 07-11-2007, 06:52 PM

I knew I never heard of the egr on the 2000 7.3.

So they sound like they are high maintenance. I will read on with the posts after I get some rest that is and educate myself on this item.

What does SCT stand for?

Thanks for the reponses
Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM
The Fat Mod

Congrats on the new rig

When ya get some pics, post them up and let us see.

SCT stands for SuperChipsTuner. But the Super Chips and SCT is not one in the same. As I understand it, SCT used to do stuff for superchips, but they split and SCT is just SCT now. So really, it just stands for SCT.

They EGR is Exhaust something something. Haha, it is one of the things that causes most of the problems on these. With the SCT and an EGR delete pipe, you will not have to ever worry about it again.

Turbo is big because we like to go fast. And you have a 7XXX lb truck that needs lots of air.

I would start looking at some ARP head studs and get them in if you are looking at really getting the power out of this thing. Of course you will want to do gauges, exhaust and then tuner, but it will not be bad if the studs are in there some where if you can swing it. That way you wont have to worry about head gaskets blowing out either. Congrats on the new rig once again.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
EGR systems have been around for years on gassers. 03 6.0's were the first on the ford diesels.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM

I think I am going to stay stock for a while. Of course that is what I said with the 7.3
Old 07-11-2007, 07:01 PM
The Fat Mod

And I ask again...what is this stock that you speak of

If you knew how fun a 6er with the SCT was, you would be trying to buy one now.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:02 PM

I do not like the idea of having to install tunes as you want them. I guess I was spoiled with the dp tuner
Old 07-11-2007, 07:05 PM
The Fat Mod

Oh I was the same way. I had a TS chip on my 7.3. It def gets ya spoiled. But the SCT tunes are much nicer. Get it and you will thank me later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.