4x4 How good exactly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 06:57 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4x4 How good exactly

Ok, so I am currently looking for a 6.0 and I found one that I am interested in. Its an 06 CCSB 4x4 Lariat, and I have a question that I need answered before I go any further in this process. This truck is going to be my DD, and with all the snow I get here in the winter, It really needs to kick *** in the snow on a regular basis. I currently drive an Audi A4 with Quattro and snow tires and its the tits, but the extra weight and ground clearance of the F Series will definitely be nice. So my question is, how good are these things in the snow, if anyone has a good comparison that would be great. I know this is a general noob question, but I have always had AWD Subarus and Audis so I am not well versed in trucks. Can I drive the F series on my 200mi trips in snow with 4x4 on all the time, cus if not, thats a big problem. Thanks for the help guys.

BTW before anyone says tires are everything, I know that already. I just need a good comparison of performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTski4x4 View Post
Ok, so I am currently looking for a 6.0 and I found one that I am interested in. Its an 06 CCSB 4x4 Lariat, and I have a question that I need answered before I go any further in this process. This truck is going to be my DD, and with all the snow I get here in the winter, It really needs to kick *** in the snow on a regular basis. I currently drive an Audi A4 with Quattro and snow tires and its the tits, but the extra weight and ground clearance of the F Series will definitely be nice. So my question is, how good are these things in the snow, if anyone has a good comparison that would be great. I know this is a general noob question, but I have always had AWD Subarus and Audis so I am not well versed in trucks. Can I drive the F series on my 200mi trips in snow with 4x4 on all the time, cus if not, thats a big problem. Thanks for the help guys.

BTW before anyone says tires are everything, I know that already. I just need a good comparison of performance.
Well, I also have a AWD Subaru, and lets just say when the roads are really bad, I take the truck.

The weight, the clearence, the wider/longer stance, the larger tires, the 4x4, all leaps and bounds better.

AWD is OK, but it cant touch 4x4, and you wont be cuting through any snowbanks with that car!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The right set of tires, and some weight in the bed will set you up perfectly. I dont do much snow driving, but I have heard between 500-800lbs in the bed is the magic number.

I do not think you will disappointed with the PSD! Good luck sorry I dont have more insight!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 AM

The benefits of these trucks in the snow starts with they weigh nearly 8,000 lbs! Weight is great! Add really good tires (best I have found thus far - and wont cost you much is Kumho KL78's - their AT tire).

In this pic - my truck with LT305/70R16 E and highly worn Kumho KL78 AT's. 30" of snow in my driveway - same on most of the streets. That day I was doing hospital runs all day. No problems.4x4 How good exactly-ford-snow.jpg

For weight - i filled the bed with snow. Kept the hubs locked (I manually switch to lock). Truck did fantastic!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Ive drivin in snow twice in my life i live in south texas...and it looks like tomorrow and the next day i will be driving my new 6.4 in the snow because it is supposed to snow in corpus christi again
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the insight guys. ToMang I definitely here you with the Maine snow, I have a house in Carabassett Valley and certainly know how bad the roads can be. If you take the truck over the Subaru then it means something to me because I know how much of a tank our Outback and Audi is lol. I have driven my Audi with summer tires through 15" of snow without any trouble, much more than that though and the clearance issue gets hairy. Sounds like the PSD is where I am going to be headed.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 AM

You will have no proplem in the snow but if driving 2wd in the snow is going to be a issue you might as well keep your import. There should be no reason you need 4wd for a 200 mile trip unless you cant drive or they never plow the roads. My trucks hardly ever seen 4wd in the snow unless i had to

Edit: A good tire like you said you know will get you along ways in just 2wd if you drive smart. I have driven mustangs through snow and ice and not once got stuck or wrecked
Old 02-02-2011, 08:16 AM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by legionxxii View Post
You will have no proplem in the snow but if driving 2wd in the snow is going to be a issue you might as well keep your import. There should be no reason you need 4wd for a 200 mile trip unless you cant drive or they never plow the roads. My trucks hardly ever seen 4wd in the snow unless i had to
i'll second what he said about driving 200 mi in 4x4. I wouldn't do it. Leak the hubs locked in and shift into out of 4x4 as needed
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Edit: A good tire like you said you know will get you along ways in just 2wd if you drive smart. I have driven mustangs through snow and ice and not once got stuck or wrecked
When I drive all back roads from Northern Vermont to Norther Maine 4WD is an absolute must. I cant count how many times I have been driving through the mountains after dark and all of a sudden snow storm, unplowed twisty roads with no lighting. It can get hairy even with AWD. And for the record, I am a very good an responsible snow driver. From the start of my driving time till now I have taken extreme weather driving classes, defensive driving classes, racing classes and everything in between so I don't feel I lack in that area by an means.

If I lock the hubs manually, I was under the impression that I was in 4x4 permanently and the switch would do nothing. Is this false? If the hubs are unlocked I though the switch controlled the 4x4.

for the record: If I am doing a 200mile drive in the snow and part of the drive is not bad etc ofcourse I'll take it out of 4x4. I wouldnt leave it in for just wet pavement.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:

I agree, but If its bad enough... I'd take the truck. There is no substitute for a good 4x4. I ony have to put it in 4x4 when I'm ploiwing or coming up the unplowed driveway. However, today, there is 8-10" of unplowed snow on the roads.... so IF I go anywhere today... it'll probably be in 4x4, lol, the car is BURRIED right now! I had to plow the road in front of my house before I even attempted the driveway, were gettin slammed right now, and we have at least a foot as of right now!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.