Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

injector causes fluid lock, any experience on this?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  PGreenSVT 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is my story short and sweet.... my truck is my baby, i do all the maintenance, and shes never been back to dealer... run the best oils(sythetic Delo) run Opti lube XPD every tank, run the best coolant (EC-1) with filtration, etc etc... my truck only has 24k miles and though i dont drive much(military deployed etc), though the miles are either towing heavy or off-raod... i do change the oil every 6 months even if its only been a couple 100 miles etc... ive already changed tranny fluid and filters etc... you cant do more maintenance then me.

Sunday towing, a loud tapping noise occurred and got louder and louder, after about 5 seconds i put it in neutral and coasted to shoulder, engine sputtered and died while pluming tones of black smoke. after i inspected it, no fluid leaks, coolant loss or visible damage, i tried to start and the eng was locked, no turnover... called for tow, hours later tried to start and it turned over and fired but crazy bad black smoke...

dealer left me a message today saying injector 8 stuck open and filled cylinder with diesel and caused fluid lock of engine.... they said new injector will be covered and truck should be done tomorrow.

My question: mainly, is fixing this one injector going to fix my truck? if it runs good when i get it back can i assume no further damage was done?... i guess im going to be pretty hesitant to hook up fifth wheel and head out of town again (ie TRUST TRUCK) after that huge headache of having to get a tow truck to tow me connected to my 38.5 fifth wheel experience..... is my truck 100% after replacing one injector or should i ask them to look further/run more tests?

The dealer is very cool, i have good relationship with them, i took tune out and put CAT back on before the tow got there of course....

thanks for any advice

See less See more
#3 ·
ya thanks, i got a few friends that are chevy guys, i can guarantee you will regret that one.... not exactly the advice i was looking for, but thanks.

Wish i had time to peruse chevy forums for fun, but i can hardly find the time to log on here where people give real, helpful advice when needed.

#4 ·
I would think that it should be ok. I would ask them if they checked the piston protrusion to see if the rod was bent or damaged.

That sure seems like a lot of diesel in order to hydrolock it. I had my old IDI 7.3 hydrolock on me, but that was coolant from a pinhole in the cylinder due to the cavitation from super heated coolant.

#6 ·
Yeah JJ, hydrolock can cause a lot of damage to an engine. In your case maybe one cylinder but that could include a bent rod, piston issue, bent valves, bent pushrods, lifted head, etc.

You may get away clean or may not. You will also need to change the oil since it will now be fuel diluted. If it runs as smoothly as it did before this then it is likely ok. If it has any vibration or roughness then it's likely something got bent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.