2005 issues at 95000 miles - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 issues at 95000 miles

well i have had good luck with my 6.0. be real reliable and depedable but here lately i have had what i would call minor troubles. two days ago i was hauling cattle with my uncle i dont have any custom tunes so i use the sf3 65hp tow with aggresive tow/haul. going up a hill from a dead stop got around 35 to 40 mph the truck jerked really hard twice like the torque converter was shock loading. got to the vets plugged the sct in and did a quick check of trans temps with the data logging i seen the sct has two trans temps so i use them both one read 280 the other read 135. retuned took the aggresive tow/haul out left the 65hp in no issues again. went to the sale barn on the way back the truck acted like it cut out twice but kept running. so i think my trans might be going out witch to me is kinda not a real big deal. ive worked the crap out of this thing and thats the price i pay. i wonder if the 10w30 i currently running is too light for the motor. seems like everythings good until the trailer is on the truck. so i dont know what to look for i cant afford a 2011 and dont want a 6.4 so i need to get this figured out. thanks for all and any input.

Last edited by spikinfool05; 02-01-2011 at 09:15 AM. Reason: wording
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikinfool05 View Post
well i have had good luck with my 6.0. be real reliable and depedable but here lately i have had what i would call minor troubles. two days ago i was hauling cattle with my uncle i dont have any custom tunes so i use the sf3 65hp tow with extreme tow/haul. going up a hill from a dead stop got around 35 to 40 mph the truck jerked really hard twice like the torque converter was shock loading. got to the vets plugged the sct in and did a quick check of trans temps with the data logging i seen the sct has two trans temps so i use them both one read 280 the other read 135. retuned took the extreme tow/haul out left the 65hp in no issues again. went to the sale barn on the way back the truck acted like it cut out twice but kept running. so i think my trans might be going out witch to me is kinda not a real big deal. ive worked the crap out of this thing and thats the price i pay. i wonder if the 10w30 i currently running is too light for the motor. seems like everythings good until the trailer is on the truck. so i dont know what to look for i cant afford a 2011 and dont want a 6.4 so i need to get this figured out. thanks for all and any input.
How long ago did you change the trans filter and oil if the 280* is the trans temp that is to hot, i don't like 10w30 because of the shear of the oil by the injectors a 5w40 Syn oil is a lot better for these motors if you are pulling a 5er or TT a Rotella T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a good one.
2 stroker
Old 01-31-2011, 08:00 PM

no 5er just a big stock trailer and a flat bed of whatever once in awhile. i wonder why the sct has two temp readings for the trans. makes me wonder.

Last edited by spikinfool05; 02-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 PM

UOA's show any 40 wt shears to a 30 wt in the 6.0 rather quickly. 30wt's remain a 30 wt so there isn't much of a difference except for the first several hundred or 1,000 miles.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:25 AM
Premium Member

From what i have read about the Ford trans is its a beast. Its one of the best out there on these trucks. They even use this trans in the school busses and last time i rode one that driver was given it hell.

What raises a flag is that you said you ran the SCT tune and the tow haul mode with the truck. Are you sure these two options are syched together to work as one? Some tuners don't account and allow for the tow haul option these trucks have. I am not saying yours doesn't im just throwing it out there.

As for trans temps what i was told by a trans expert when i had my F150 towing my boat, my tuner on the F150 had a trans temp feature is that 280 is not bad. Its not great eighter. Just try not to let it run there any longer then it has too.

His measurements were this.

Always try to keep it under 200 as this will extend the trans life.

200 to 250 in towing is not bad but this is when the trans fluid starts to break down and will require more frequent changes.

250 to 300 is considered extream and requires changes at half the normal intervals as the factory recommendation. So instead of 30K its 15K

Anything over 350 and you are melting your trans and it will fail pretty fast.

Im no transmission guy this is what i was told because i was concerned when my F150 was pulling my boat up a few knarley hills and i was watching that trans temp climb above 200. I had a trans cooler on the truck as well.

As for the F350 she doesn't miss a beat with my boat but i have pulled a 13,500 bumper pull style 28FT Rinker threw Columbia Gorge with a 40 MPH headwind at 60 mph and my trans temp was steady under 200 all the time. Never was i more happy to drop a boat of at the auction just to get it off my truck. I think my truck even signed in relief.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 AM

I wonder what it looked like inside that trailer when the truck jerked...??? Did you have cattle on board at the time? I bet they were doing a little dancing.

Sorry back on topic...

Maybe you should change your fluid and filter?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM

no custom tunes as of yet just the canned ones that come with the tuner itself. ya i bet if the center divider wasnt shut they all would have been at the back in a hurry. wasnt really a stiff jerk kinda like some one puching you in the shoulder just real quick twice and it never did it again. a few years ago i did something stupied and hauled a load of railroad ties home about 110 miles. was way to heavy rolled accross the coop scale at 38500 altoghter. i wonder if i might have fried the torque converter back then. once and if it warms back up ill change the filters in the trans and see what happens.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikinfool05 View Post
a few years ago i did something stupied and hauled a load of railroad ties home about 110 miles. was way to heavy rolled accross the coop scale at 38500 altoghter. .
HOLY CRAP!!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:08 AM

ya thats what i said too. i have never hauled anything that heavy again.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 PM

anyone got anything on why it stumbled? and if a guy was looking at a new trans where would a good place to go be. i live in the midwest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.