Banged up my truck this morning. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down Banged up my truck this morning.

I was driving up a straight, flat section of highway this morning...roads were wet/slightly slushy, but not really icy. One minute I'm driving straight and the next second the rear end drifts out 90 degrees to the right before I even have time to blink. The tread separated on the left front....I managed to get it straightened out, but the roads were greasy enough that I couldn't stop the drift to the left.

Kissed the guardrail and destroyed the front bumper, put a dent in the rear bumper, but no other damage. Put the spare tire on, and headed down the road.

That's the 2nd time that I've blown out a Pirelli tire on the front of this truck and the last time I will ever buy their fvcking junk.

What's the current forum recommendation for tires for a 20" wheel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

What's the load rating on those Pirelli tires? You may have a warranty claim if the load rating matches or exceeds your truck. That being said, not all tires are rated for use just because they fit the wheel; there are speed in addition to weight limitations in some cases. Looking at the failure of that tire, I suspect perhaps the tires were old too (not that you bought old tires but you could have been sold "old" new tires). It's worth investigating through warranty claims with Pirelli or where your tires were installed as long as they meet the speed/weight rating of your operation. Glad you didn't get hurt...dents in trucks come out easier than dents in people.

Sorry for your damages - a few dents are good for truck character and story-telling though.

Jonathan
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Banned

That sucks man. I'd have Pirelli fixing that truck.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
What's the load rating on those Pirelli tires? You may have a warranty claim if the load rating matches or exceeds your truck. That being said, not all tires are rated for use just because they fit the wheel; there are speed in addition to weight limitations in some cases. Looking at the failure of that tire, I suspect perhaps the tires were old too (not that you bought old tires but you could have been sold "old" new tires). It's worth investigating through warranty claims with Pirelli or where your tires were installed as long as they meet the speed/weight rating of your operation. Glad you didn't get hurt...dents in trucks come out easier than dents in people.

Sorry for your damages - a few dents are good for truck character and story-telling though.

Jonathan
Those tires are load range E and they're rated for 3195lbs. Considering that I was not towing, I keep my tires properly inflated and it was a cool day....there's no way that these things should let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
That sucks man. I'd have Pirelli fixing that truck.
I suspect that they'll either tell me to pound salt or offer me a new tire. Either way is unacceptable to me, but I'll call them anyway.

What's everyone using for 20" tires these days?
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Make sure to keep the old tire!

I had tread seperation on my Continentals which took out my rear fender on my dually. I contacted Continental and they offered to pay for the damage but the damage was covered by my insurance....thank goodness. However, they did make good and gave me a credit on all 7 tires (including spare) towards the tires of my choice. So with credit in hand, I went the Michelin route. Continental provided me pre-paid UPS tickets for all the tires.

So again, keep that failed tire as they will probably want it back for any warranty or claim.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

That sucks your truck is beautiful I would be furious but good luck with the fixing
Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
michelin AT/2 275-65-20, good in the snow and rain.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Well, I am speaking from the motorcycle world, but I will never buy a Pirelli/Metzler product ever again.

First tire I bought from them was their (rear) "high-mileage touring tire" that lasted less than 4,000 miles before it was bald....

Then, I had a sidewall failure on my front tire, luckily I caught it before I went on a ride, (I usually inspect my bike before I leave) and it didn't fail while I was on it. (Had TONS of tread left, at least 2/3, and the tire was less than 1 year old from mfg. date)

The sidewall split, all the way around, on BOTH SIDES.
Metzler FAILURE - Front Tire - VTXOA

Their customer service SUX, they said contact whoever I bought the tire from, because they won't deal with cosumers. Then they dicked around the guy I bought it from, and only issued a "partial" refund, based on the amount of tread used on the tire.

I had already bought a Pirelli Night Dragin to replace the front...and that one has a harmonic imballance from 40-50mph which is abnoxious.

I'm done with them, 3/3 products I bought from them sucked.

Sorry for the super-long post.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Retired Army

That sucks hopefully Pirelli will be willing to help you out.... good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.