Rough running! FICM the problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 01:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough running! FICM the problem?

Hey guys I have noticed that my 05 with 184k miles but only 4000 engine hours runs rough.. let me explain. Just for info I run a sct with the srl tune.. In the mornings when its cold it takes a while to start and a long time to warm up and it gets plugged in every night. I let it warm up atleast 5 mins before driving and even 10 mins after driving its not at normal operating temps. Also I have noticed that sometimes when its fully warmed up and I hammer down on it, the transmission while shift good and firm most of the time and have lots of power. and then sometimes the tranny shifts really sloppy and it doesnt seem to have its normal power. I think the last time i changed the oil the dealer must have put summer oil in it. Could it be the oil or do you think the FICM. When I bought it three months ago and had the computer updated since It hadn't been updated in years, my mechanic said that the ficm may not take the new tune. Well it drives fine most of the time and my mechanic said it must have taken it. COuld it still be the ficm. remeber i have an sct with a tune. Also an egr test was done when I bought it by my mechanic and he said it passed the test with flying colors, meaning it was not gummed up. also the turbo had to be taken off to replace an oil line and he said the turbo was clean also. Any ideas to what is making it speratically run abnormal. Thanks and sorry for the long write up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 03:16 AM

You can try some fuel additive first diesel kleen is a good product. and you may want to get a fuel pressure gauge if your pressure is lower than 55psi you may start to have injector problems
Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Anything under 45 psi fuel pressure can cause damage to the injectors.

Either you can or have your mechanic check the FICM.Fuel Press

You may be experiencing stiction, or have injector issues. You won't know unless you put in on a good diagnostic scan tool. If your due for a oil change anyway, switch out to a lighter oil and try some rev-x.

Without a good diagnostic scan tool, you might be throwing parts at it and hope to get lucky.

Did your mechanic physically remove the EGR valve to check for deposits? How about the turbo, did he disassemble the turbo to check unison ring and vanes?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:16 AM

Another question. Could it be the tune? Since it's really cold here in ky. Maybe with the winter diesel, the tune is too aggressive for the fuel quality/ cetane?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 AM

But to answer your question, it's been completely scanned using the ford software and computer by my mechanic that did performance tests, ficm test, egr test and so on. No problems.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i ran into a problem with mine startng to run rough and take a long time to start. then it would miss slightly at idle and then too more at wot. then it started running worse. took it to jiffy lube and got the oil and fuel filters changed. im thinking they put in the wrong oil from before., has been running great since then. just a thought.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one92rs View Post
i ran into a problem with mine startng to run rough and take a long time to start. then it would miss slightly at idle and then too more at wot. then it started running worse. took it to jiffy lube and got the oil and fuel filters changed. im thinking they put in the wrong oil from before., has been running great since then. just a thought.
Ok thanks. I think it is the oil. It ran great when it was warmer out. Ill try some 5-40 and rev-x next time its due for an oil change.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Try some Rotella T5 10w-30 it has worked for alot of guys who have had stiction(sp?) problems. I was using Rotella T6 5x-40 Syn before the T5 and the truck seems to run better now.

Thanks Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.