Warranty issues with coolant change??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty issues with coolant change???

I recently purchased my first diesel...'07 F350 52k miles. Love it. I am on board with flushing the Ford Gold and filling with ELC... but am I going to have warranty issues with Ford if something goes wrong with my EGR or Oil Cooler in the next year and a half. I am debating just having Ford flush with vc-9 and refilling with Ford Gold for the next year and a half, and then changing to ELC at that point... Any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great question, I'm in the exact same boat. 2007 with 53k.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
They cannot void the warranty as long as the anti-freeze meets or exceeds fords specs their is nothing they can do warranty wise.

Read up on the maguson-moss warranty act. Here is a link to the wiki page:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnu...edirected=true
Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

But Cat1 ELC coolant is not the same as Ford gold... so it doesn't meet Ford specs. Right?? And most of us on here seem to believe it "exceeds" Ford specs, but does Ford believe it exceeds their specs?? A Ford tech near me says that Ford Gold is great stuff, and he has never seen it cause problems... and he is a respected guy who is Ford certified but owns his own independent diesel shop for close to 10 years now.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
IN MY SHOP I WOULD NEVER HANG A CUSTOMER ON THIS NO WAY NO HOW.WORK IS WORK!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdog View Post
But Cat1 ELC coolant is not the same as Ford gold... so it doesn't meet Ford specs. Right?? And most of us on here seem to believe it "exceeds" Ford specs, but does Ford believe it exceeds their specs?? A Ford tech near me says that Ford Gold is great stuff, and he has never seen it cause problems... and he is a respected guy who is Ford certified but owns his own independent diesel shop for close to 10 years now.
In the owners manual it says " Add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant(yellow color) VC-7A(U.S, except CA, Or and NM), VC-7-B(CA, OR and NM), meeting Ford Specification WSS-M97B51-A1. So if your yellow coolant you can use it if it meets those specs, but it also says Do not add/mix ELC but it doesn't say "Do not use". Also under the hood I have sticker saying modifications that replace or affect ford part wont be covered. Example you put in a radio and the speedo doesn't work anymore they can not say they wont cover the speedo because there is a aftermarket radio. It is illegal. And if you search the website here you will find lots of pictures of what the gold crap does to these trucks. My ford dealership also tells me that the gold isn't the problem, international doesn't build the powerstroke. Take what some people say with a grain of salt. When I have the money I will make the switch.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

well look at it like this if you change it then it goes bad and ford says no to the warranty claim then you have to pay for it, then pay for a lawyer to fight a billion dollar company whos probably fought this battle before. just do what i do change the coolant every 20k
Old 01-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Flooringit- agree 100%. I am sure the Gold cause’s issues as I had a couple Ford guys tell me it did and has. I was also told during the same conversation that the trucks they had seen with the problems were ones that had not been taken care of.

I am sure there are ones that had issues and had been well taken care of as I am sure somebody will speak up and say it happened to them and their truck was maintained to the letter. Not saying it hasn't happened.

So I asked what they do to their trucks- neither is currently stud'd and one has a mild tune (under 100 hp). Both run gauges, watch their temps. Both flush their coolant at 20,000 intervals and both are still running Gold. My truck is at 50,000 now and it was flushed at 20k and 40k. Not sure if I'll ever change but if not I'll continue to flush every 20k.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I like the suggestion of flushing every 20k. I will probably do that until the warranty runs out and then change to ELC.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Floorinit, just what is there to go bad? You mean like it expires with age? Pay attention to the service intervals of top rated ELCs. There is nothing to fall out of supspension like the SILICATES of the Ford gold coolant which is proven to plug the oil cooler passages either. Also ELC will not damage or detoriate ANY surfaces within the engine.

Do what you want like blow your money twice a year introducing un-neccesary amounts of used coolant to be handled and disposed of properly into the system. I'll run my ELC for the rest of the trucks life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.