What is the most reliable year of the 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is the most reliable year of the 6.0

I am looking to get into the world of the 6.0 and I was wondering what year is the most reliable of the 6.0? Also what aftermarket parts must be bought to fix the common problems? thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

I just bought mine last March and i specifically looked for the 06 and 07. This is because they have the factory upgraded Head bolts. These arnt as good as the aftermarket most guys are getting but off the dealer floor they are much stronger then the 03 and up.

Ive read the 06 and 07 have the least amount of issues only due to them being out a few years so a lot of the bugs were worked out.

As for what i am doing, im getting my exhaust opened up, onboard tuner/programmer with gauges. Coolant upgraded with ELC and filtration system, Zoodad for the intake for right now.

When i got my truck it only had 46K and was well maintained but i went and changed all my fluids and filter.

I would expect if you buy used you would want to do the same thing to get a good baseline.

These 6.0 are said to be very reliable and great trucks but you have to stay on top of the maintenance. Pay the costs to maintain them and they run forever.

Tons of great people on the site and have tons of knowledge
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats kind of a loaded question. Historically the first year or two a manufacturer intorduces a new motor there will be problems. Any of the 6.0's have the possiblity of being a good one or a bad one. Your safest bet though, to get away from the first year or two would be a late 06 or an 07. Check out this link.... 6.0L Ford Power Stroke Engine - Ford Diesel Trucks - Diesel Power Magazine
If the link doesnt work just type in Ford 6.0 known problems into google. Diesel power magazine compiled a list of all common 6.0 problems and fixes for each production year (03-07).
Old 01-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

what ever truck you are looking at, get the vin# and get a oasis report on that truck. It will atleast give you some info on the trucks history and you can make a educated decision to buy or not
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
I just bought mine last March and i specifically looked for the 06 and 07. This is because they have the factory upgraded Head bolts. These arnt as good as the aftermarket most guys are getting but off the dealer floor they are much stronger then the 03 and up.

Ive read the 06 and 07 have the least amount of issues only due to them being out a few years so a lot of the bugs were worked out.

As for what i am doing, im getting my exhaust opened up, onboard tuner/programmer with gauges. Coolant upgraded with ELC and filtration system, Zoodad for the intake for right now.

When i got my truck it only had 46K and was well maintained but i went and changed all my fluids and filter.

I would expect if you buy used you would want to do the same thing to get a good baseline.

These 6.0 are said to be very reliable and great trucks but you have to stay on top of the maintenance. Pay the costs to maintain them and they run forever.

Tons of great people on the site and have tons of knowledge

So what was the upgrade on the head bolts? Never heard of this?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I heard something about it but didnt know if it was true or not. I figured if it was a fact there would have been a recall to get the earlier trucks corrected. I think they just changed the torque specs though...
Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdwg View Post
So what was the upgrade on the head bolts? Never heard of this?
I think they went from a 18mm to a 20mm bolt. I wouldn't run much of a custom tune without upgrading to ARP studs. I feel like that is just asking for trouble.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are no factory upgraded head bolts. The switch from 18mm to 20mm head alignment dowels has nothing to due with head bolts/studs.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 AM

The dowel size changed on the commonization engines (mostly affected 2007 trucks), not the head bolt size. I've read where the heads were changed some in 2005, but haven't been able to verify the a reliable source. There are still head gasket failures on 2006-2007 models but they don't seem to be as common as on the early models. I think with the most recent flashes, the 6.0l just put out less power and is easier on the HGs. That's my personal unbased theory.

That and we know about the coolant problems.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Premium Member

Im not sure of the upgrade but i know its not a recall. I specificaly asked the Diesel tech at the local Dealer after talking with the service rep. I wanted my truck history pulled and she said it wont show anything..Typical LOL.

Can i post my Vin and get it ran? I herd something site memebers get this for free but i dont know where to do it at.

As for the head bolts she said Internation changed the head bolts for the 06 and 07 after all the issues with the 03-05. She didnt elaborate but i mentioned i was concerned because i didnt want to blow one and be stuck with a 4k bill.

She said she wasnt sure of the change but was at the dealer when all these trucks were blowing them and she said the 06 came with upgraded ones. There nothing compared to the ARP ones but they are upgraded.

I then spoke to the Diesel tech and he said the same thing but warned me of droping those big 100+ HP tunes in the truck but siad the milder 60 and 85 tunes are fine but when towing to make sure its a tune made for towing and to watch my guages because rarly does he see a blown head that didnt give the driver warnings like high temps or excessive smoking.

This is jsut word of mouth of what i was told at the dealer. Since my truck is under warrenty im not worried about my heads and if they blow ill work into the deal the new ARP studs. Other wise ill be nice as hope they last a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.