Should I flush my tranny with 60k? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I flush my tranny with 60k?

I've reay through every thread on here about tranny flushes and still can't decide.

It will be an actual flush and not just dropping the pan. Local Ford dealership is going to do it. I bought the truck with 47K on so I don't know if it has been done before.

I'm just worried that the thing will crap out after it gets flushed like I've read about other trucks with higher miles that have never been serviced before.

What do yall think? BTW its going to cost around $229 for all new fluids and toilet paper roll.

2006 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat FX4

Mods: Line-X, UWS Low-profile toolbox, B&W Turnover Gooseneck Hitch, Edge Insight CS, Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System, CAT ELC Coolant, 4" MBRP Turbo-back, Ranch Hand Front End

post #2 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane3507 View Post
I've reay through every thread on here about tranny flushes and still can't decide.

It will be an actual flush and not just dropping the pan. Local Ford dealership is going to do it. I bought the truck with 47K on so I don't know if it has been done before.

I'm just worried that the thing will crap out after it gets flushed like I've read about other trucks with higher miles that have never been serviced before.

What do yall think? BTW its going to cost around $229 for all new fluids and toilet paper roll.
I will be doing a trans oil change when it warms up, i only have 29k on mine i have already change the T/P inline filter once so this time i will drop the pan clean up the magnet replace the filter and the T/P filter and install 8-9 qts of Ford SP trans oil. Why at 30k because it is used to pull my 14k 5er all the time cheap insurance about $100 bucks
2 stroker

06 F350 4x4 PSD Lariat FX4 CC LB
Edge Insight CTS Expandable Pyro
AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Gauge
Updated Fuel Reg. Kit 3C3Z-9T517-AG
Amsoil By-Pass(Amsoil 5w40)
Delo ELC Coolant
Coolant Filtration System
pulling a 14,000 lb Alpenlite 5er
97 F350 4x4 PSD CC LB
PacBrake&ATS converter lockup
3" dp 4" exhaust
TruCool 28,000 lb cooler
Tymar Intake
A piller EGT,Boost,Trans
post #3 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If I'm not mistaken 30k is the service interval for the trans so do it. Your truck is not high mileage so don't worry aabout it.

This is one of those jobs I let the dealership handle. I don't like the idea of replacing 1/3 of the fluid and calling it changed. The dealer does a reverse flush and replaces all the fluid. The reverse flush dislodges any stuff in the filter in the pan (which is just a screen anyway) and they don't drop the pan.

That way I have all fresh tranny fluid and I skip the hassle of trying to replace it all without the reverse flush machine.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright, thanks for the confidence booster.

Also, I'm going to obtain an Oasis report when I'm at the dealer. If the prior owner got it flushed at a Ford dealership, would that show up on the report?

2006 F-250 Crew Cab Lariat FX4

Mods: Line-X, UWS Low-profile toolbox, B&W Turnover Gooseneck Hitch, Edge Insight CS, Dieselsite Coolant Filtration System, CAT ELC Coolant, 4" MBRP Turbo-back, Ranch Hand Front End

post #5 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane3507 View Post
Alright, thanks for the confidence booster.

Also, I'm going to obtain an Oasis report when I'm at the dealer. If the prior owner got it flushed at a Ford dealership, would that show up on the report?
Probably not. The Oasis report only reflects warranty work completed.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yep, go ahead and do it. I went 90k without flushing it (totally by accident) and I just got it flushed at Ford. My transmission seems to shift a little firmer and it just overall seems to like me better now.

Blake

2013 F-150 CCSB Oxford White FX4 EcoBoost
Loaded with every option...

2008 F-250 CCSB Dark Copper King Ranch 6.4L FX4
4" MBRP Exhaust w/ Muffler (DPF/DOC Delete), Modded Stock Intake, H&S XRT Pro
post #7 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM

do it! i just drain my pan and replace front filter every 12k since it was new. dropped the pan at 36k ish and was real clean. now im at 48k and will do it again in the spring. fluids are CHEEP! my truck works hard either pushing snow or towing

OIF 1 ARMY VETERAN
8' fisher MM2 plow
Dieselsite coolant filter
fuel presure reg spring
air box mod
6.4 banjo's
RAE batterys
CCV mod
2010 side steps
turbo back 4" no kitty
post #8 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Do it. I had mine done at 30K and will continue every 30 from here on out. Cheap insurance IMHO.

Brian

'05 F250 Harley-Davidson

post #9 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 PM

A transmission flush is really just a full fluid exchange. The machine simple hooks inline with the factory cooler lines going to and from the transmission. The pump in the transmission pumps fluid out of the trans through the cooler lines, into the machine which dumps it into a container. The machine is filled with the appropriate transmission fluid and there is a small pump in the machine that pumps fluid into the return line back to the transmission, thus exchanging all the fluid in the transmission for new fluid. There is no pressure involved that would be greater than what the pump in the transmission itself puts out so there is no worry of a flush destroying a transmission. Also there is no 'back' flushing going on either. Fluid only flows one way through a transmission.

1991 Ranger - 38" TSL's, 3 link, One tons, 5.38s on King air shocks....under construction.
1997 Ranger - reg cab flare side, 3.0L, M5OD-R1, 4x4, 31x10.50r15 MT's.
2008 F350 - Crewcab short bed, 6.4L diesel, H&S XRT Pro, AFE DOC/DPF delete
1972 Mustang Coupe - 302, c4, 9", 4.11's locked.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i had mine done for the first time in october, at 60k, i thought in the manual it says to flush tranny at 60k. idk all i know is that its changed and out of my hair

T-rav
2010 F350 6.4- H&S Single turbo kit, 5" flo pro,No limit SS cold side kit, No Limit intake, MPD billet CCV/oil filler, newton leveling kit, RED Newton traction bars, custom projector retrofit in oem lights and a bunch of LED lights LOL

Holderdown Performance #teamHDP

OUR FLEET: 2015 f450, 2014 Platinum F350, 2012 F450 6.7, 2010 F350 6.4, 2005 F350 6.0, 04 F450 6.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode