Front Diff & Steering Stabilizer ???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Diff & Steering Stabilizer ????

So I just got my new dual front steering stabilizer in from Top Gun Customz and am getting ready to install it tomorrow. I figure that since I have to take out two of the bolts on the front differential cover why not take out all of them and replace the fluid while I am down the. Since this is my first F250 I had a couple questions......

Do I have to pull the whole cover off to swap out the fluid? (My old jeep had a drain and fill plug and I don's see one on this.)

I called looking for a gasket and the parts store told me they didn't have one listed, does this mean I don't need one? Do I just use a sealant of some kind? If it doesn't use a gasket do I need to make sure I get all of the old sealant off before putting the new sealant and cover back on?

Going to swap out the fluid and put in Amsoil 75-90 full syn., any issues with this? Is 5 qts the correct amount of oil to buy?

Also, is there an issue with using blue lock tight on the bolts on the mounting hardware of the steering stabilizer?

Thanks for your help,

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There's a fill plug but not a drain. Take off the cover, scrape off the old sealant, Put on some RTV put the cover back on and fill with oil. The other question will have to be answered by someone else. Do you have a lift and bigger tires?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the info Mud.

I have a leveling kit with 35/12.50/20 toyo m/t on it right now. Going to switch to the Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/60/20 in the next month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No drain
No gasket needed, just use black RTV. There are plenty of sources online on the best method to do this.
That fluid is fine and 5 quarts is more than enough

blue lock tight is fine. Dont use red for that application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Carlton Oregon
Posts: 440
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you already by the stabilizer kit? I have one on my truck and im not lifted. There is are 2 kinds to get.

I have the 2.5 inch level in the front and i had to go with the NOT LIFTED stabilizer kit.

If you by the Lifted Kit it wont fit.

Also one thing you will notice is if your getting it for front wheel wobble you will still have a little slack in the front end but very little compared to now. Another thing is the stabilizer kit will make the steering a lot stiffer. I actualy have to steer the truck back straight around corners where before i just let up on the wheel and it auto centered.

This also adds a bit of stress to the steering pump since it has to work a bit harder now steering.

Just a few things i noticed with mine. Im running a duel shock Ranchero setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 67
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
Another thing is the stabilizer kit will make the steering a lot stiffer. I actualy have to steer the truck back straight around corners where before i just let up on the wheel and it auto centered.

This also adds a bit of stress to the steering pump since it has to work a bit harder now steering.

This isnt true if your steering system is properly working. As a previous mechanic I have installed hundreds of these and have never experienced what you are saying. You should really look in to what is REALLY causing your steering problem. Could be a rag joint, or a problem in your steering box. I would take the steering stabalizer off and drive without it and see what problems you can discover, or take it in to th shop.

When you install a dual steering stabalizer kit you shouldnt ever tell it is there until you hit a pot hole or when your off road. In normal every day driving conditions it isnt doing anything....again provided you arent using it as a band aid for unbalanced tires, bad ball joints, or other.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Moyock, NC
Posts: 896
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here are a couple of links to my front diff and dual stabilizer jobs...and a guide by Guzzlemans

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - MoyockPowerstroke's Album: Dual Steering Stabilizer
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - MoyockPowerstroke's Album: Front Dana Differential tune-up
http://www.guzzle.rbmicro.com/fdiff.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Carlton Oregon
Posts: 440
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by godless77 View Post
This isnt true if your steering system is properly working. As a previous mechanic I have installed hundreds of these and have never experienced what you are saying. You should really look in to what is REALLY causing your steering problem. Could be a rag joint, or a problem in your steering box. I would take the steering stabalizer off and drive without it and see what problems you can discover, or take it in to th shop.

When you install a dual steering stabalizer kit you shouldnt ever tell it is there until you hit a pot hole or when your off road. In normal every day driving conditions it isnt doing anything....again provided you arent using it as a band aid for unbalanced tires, bad ball joints, or other.....
Maybe im describing it wrong then. I original bought the truck and it didn't have one on there. So i went to Ford because the truck has some slop in the steering. Basically you could move the steering wheel left and right a couple inches and nothing happened. My F150 was super responsive so i was concerned.

Ford looked and said it was the tires i have 325/50/20. They took those off and installed factory tires and the issue went away. So they said i needed a stabilizer system.

They paid for it and put it in free since i just bought the truck.

Everything is golden now.

Even with a stabilizer you should feel resistance when steering the truck no? I mean those are Shocks basically they are there to absorb hits the tires take so you steering wheel isn't jerked out of your hand. So that being the case when you steer the truck its going to have more resistance. Now when i say you have to steer it back i don't mean you let the wheel go and the truck turns its self. It does auto center but its a bit slower to do it. I choose some bad wording.

Moyock that's exactly what mine looks like but my shocks are silver and i have boots over the shafts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 80
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyockPowerstroke View Post
Thanks!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.....it also has me waiting til next week to do this because I want to repaint the diff cover and figure I will do both of them at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Serving Our Country!

 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 2,172
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
Maybe im describing it wrong then. I original bought the truck and it didn't have one on there. So i went to Ford because the truck has some slop in the steering. Basically you could move the steering wheel left and right a couple inches and nothing happened. My F150 was super responsive so i was concerned.

Ford looked and said it was the tires i have 325/50/20. They took those off and installed factory tires and the issue went away. So they said i needed a stabilizer system.

They paid for it and put it in free since i just bought the truck.

Everything is golden now.

Even with a stabilizer you should feel resistance when steering the truck no? I mean those are Shocks basically they are there to absorb hits the tires take so you steering wheel isn't jerked out of your hand. So that being the case when you steer the truck its going to have more resistance. Now when i say you have to steer it back i don't mean you let the wheel go and the truck turns its self. It does auto center but its a bit slower to do it. I choose some bad wording.

Moyock that's exactly what mine looks like but my shocks are silver and i have boots over the shafts.
Hmm, well I had a similar problem. Had a good amount of slop in my steering and I was running my dual steering stabilizer kit. Come to find out and I changed about everything it was my steering box. I wouldn't over look that if I were you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors