First year 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First year 6.0?

Looking at a 2003 6.0 Is there anything on it that might not be on the later years that i need to look for or are they all basically the same with no changes?
Thanks
Anthony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

Few minor differences. Most importantly, better EGR cooler design than later years. Different turbo (louder whistle). Some will say the '03's are faster
Some plusses some minus' toss the coin see what happens.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have an 03 and have only had a couple of injector problems at 110k miles, changed them out my self and so far the powerstroke gods have smiled upon me. I have stock headbolts still and was considering going to studs about 20k miles ago when i chiped it but so far no problems and i run the street race tune eevery day. I only pull in stock mode and keep it smart with the peddl but i have to say this is one fun truck to drive.I got mine with 42k miles on it and now have 120k miles on it and have spent about $800 bucks on needed repairs with the injectors but other than that it has ben good to me. Just check the oasis and see if has been a problem child or not. I am very good with maintenance on it and think this is a must.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

My 03 was awesome and it was DEFINITELY faster than my 05. Of that I have NO doubt.

A lot of the things states are true. check the oasis. You have the awesome EGR Cooler design so don't put that high on the priority list.

Do the same thing that we always recommend. Flush coolant, coolant filter, good fuel, make sure you have stock oil filter cap and motorcraft oil and fuel filters.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

im on my second 03. did egr delete on the first cause the little rubber hose in there started leaking, but other than that, no problems out of either truck. one of my friends had an 06 and his didnt seem as fast as my truck, i could have been wrong.
one thing i know is different on an 03 than any other 6.0, that awesome turbo...
Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL
ICP sensor placement sucks for people who arent familiar with them. IPR also isnt fun because the ignorant intake crossover in the rear. 03 is just hard to work on, but they are 'faster' than other years. This due to the turbo. The high pressure oil rails are different too. They have their plus's and minus's though. Alot less places to leak, but damn sure harder to pressurize to find leaks...
Old 01-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have an 03 and I love it. I have a bunch of friends who all have various different diesel trucks who all talked me into getting one because they tow better than gas. We all have Toy Haulers that we tow to the Dunes etc. Everyone of them is jealous of the way the 03 6.0L sounds, and drives, with that turbo it sounds like a fighter jet. If you like the sound of turbos like me you will love it. They have all driven mine and are impressed with it even the guys with newer 6.0L's. Knock on wood I have about 125k on mine and really only had a problem with the AC compressor going out. I did do some other things to it like head studs, EGR cooler etc just cause my friends scared me about the common problems with the 6.0L but all in all very happy with it. Don't be afraid to open it up though the 6.0L's love to be driven fast. A PowerStroke guy will know you have an 03 just from the sound. Good Luck with it!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:45 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I have a friend with an 03 turining 250k. No issues. Again, I know many people with businesses and personal 03-07 6L. None of us have had any major issues. Little things like ICP, an injector here or there but thats about it. One of my friends trucks that has a plow and like 12 different people driving it lost a turbo but im sure the kids ran it hard and just shut it down.

Nothing major like you hear online.

So to answer your question. An 03 is a great choice! You have a smaller chance of an EGR cooler rupture.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for all of the great responses. The truck im looking at has 200k but looks as if it has been well taken care of. I will get a Oasis pulled on it and go from there.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
My 03 was awesome and it was DEFINITELY faster than my 05. Of that I have NO doubt.

A lot of the things states are true. check the oasis. You have the awesome EGR Cooler design so don't put that high on the priority list.

Do the same thing that we always recommend. Flush coolant, coolant filter, good fuel, make sure you have stock oil filter cap and motorcraft oil and fuel filters.

Could this be because your 03 was 2wd and possibly lighter or have a different ficm strategy?

Never driven an 03 but my 06 does seem sluggish and did lose fuel mileage after the dealer (warranty) replaced my ficm, so it makes me wonder if strategy has something to do with it. Still will outrun and outpull the farms 02 7.3 two door LB.
Sorry to the OP if this is no help, i too have no experience with an 03 and was simply weighing in one the 03 being faster conversation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.