Stubborn 6.0 drivers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Stubborn 6.0 drivers?

Ok soo i have a friend(older lady who i try and help out) who has an 04 6.0 well she bought it about 6 months ago and its been nothing but trouble.. broke a wheel, needed new tie rods, etc. Well finally her trucks eating coolant like candy(noticed it myself) and she took it to her 'mechanic' and apparently he did a pressure test and said blown HG's.

Fast forward, hes not a diesel mechanic, and his 'uncle' is retired ford diesel mechanic.. aka who knows what he thinks he knows.

Now thankfully she got her 'warranty' company to agree to pay for the headgaskets and etc.. i havent heard from her about the egr and oil cooler, she said he said the oil cooler is fine, i find that hard to believe and she said he isnt concerned about the coolant...

I tried to tell her at least 5 times NOT to put that ford gold sh** back into her motor, and make sure the egr and oil coolers arent clogged and etc.

This same mechanic charged my other friends 1200 bucks to change their up pipes on their 02 7.3, that is INSANE, i could have done it for next to nothing with a friend of mine.

She trusts this guy too much just cuz she goes to church with a friend of hers. I know hes not trying to rip her off but I think he doesnt know what hes getting into.

She refuses to ask him to put ELC in the motor... so im at the end of my rope im not responsible i did what i could... I can honestly see this thing blowing up again in a year or two. I wish people werent so dumb and used common sense...

And that being said im ending my rant.. anyone else have any stories of issues like this? Im just trying to be a good friend..

Last edited by Dietoremain; 01-18-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 09:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not exactly the same but on the same track. I come from the VW/Audi world and my dad comes from the american muscle world. Anyways, for years he insisted that no matter what anyone told him or the car manuals say, he was adamant that my turbo 4cyls did not need premium grade fuel. anyways, I always built the motors far from stock and treated them right, and they always got the fuel they needed. Well, one weekend I went away and left my car (VW GLi) at home with him for that weekend. I told him specifically if he drove it and put gas in it that it had to be 93. Long story short I get back and the car is not boosting properly and running like ****. First thing I asked was what gas he used, he said "the gas that thing needs 87oct like any other car" EPIC FAIL. That weekend he managed to fry all 4 coil packs as well as burn the cylinder walls from misfiring and early detonation. Some people just dont learn until it costs them a SH*T Ton of money to fix.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 PM
'Merica

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTski4x4 View Post
Not exactly the same but on the same track. I come from the VW/Audi world and my dad comes from the american muscle world. Anyways, for years he insisted that no matter what anyone told him or the car manuals say, he was adamant that my turbo 4cyls did not need premium grade fuel. anyways, I always built the motors far from stock and treated them right, and they always got the fuel they needed. Well, one weekend I went away and left my car (VW GLi) at home with him for that weekend. I told him specifically if he drove it and put gas in it that it had to be 93. Long story short I get back and the car is not boosting properly and running like ****. First thing I asked was what gas he used, he said "the gas that thing needs 87oct like any other car" EPIC FAIL. That weekend he managed to fry all 4 coil packs as well as burn the cylinder walls from misfiring and early detonation. Some people just dont learn until it costs them a SH*T Ton of money to fix.
I surely hope he payed for it to be fixed. Been down that road before.

OP: Just wait till it fails again and say "I told you so" ... I wish.. I've been in the same boat as you before. Im younger (23) and have 8 years of solid experience working with Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engines. I hear the "your too young to know anything about these engines" etc ALL the time. Keep in mind i'm in-framing a 24-71 (which most people have never seen if they have even heard of them) and re-blocking the rear block on a 12v92(two blocks & two cranks bolted together). I feel bad for 'em when their stuff blows or fails, but i still help em get it back together.....
Old 01-18-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaptin View Post
I surely hope he payed for it to be fixed. Been down that road before.

OP: Just wait till it fails again and say "I told you so" ... I wish.. I've been in the same boat as you before. Im younger (23) and have 8 years of solid experience working with Detroit Diesel 2 stroke engines. I hear the "your too young to know anything about these engines" etc ALL the time. Keep in mind i'm in-framing a 24-71 (which most people have never seen if they have even heard of them) and re-blocking the rear block on a 12v92(two blocks & two cranks bolted together). I feel bad for 'em when their stuff blows or fails, but i still help em get it back together.....
Oh he did. Thats how I got my stroker motor
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

yup all i can do is let it be cuz i did what i knew was right and not my problem.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All you can do is lay the information down for them. You can't make them drink the koolaid.

It's like the guys on this board that won't change to ELC because they're worried about voiding their warranty.

VTski, no insult intended bud but your father doesn't seem to know shinola about American muscle cars either.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
All you can do is lay the information down for them. You can't make them drink the koolaid.

It's like the guys on this board that won't change to ELC because they're worried about voiding their warranty.

VTski, no insult intended bud but your father doesn't seem to know shinola about American muscle cars either.
No insult taken, just figured I should mention the 8.5sec dragster and 12sec street car that he drives/races. He knows his ****, he was just being stubborn about a stupid 4cyl turbo.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned

My buddy was having a hard cold start, and a lot of times a no cold start. He swapped to the T5 and it didn't help. Later on, we noticed he didn't have an injector buzz at start up, so we check the FICM and discuss the fixes. This is his only vehicle at the moment.

He is a certified professional electronics technician. He knows his ****. He insisted on repairing it himself because "I REFUSE to pay $500-$800 on this stupid part!"

I requested he leave his truck down for awhile and send it to Swamps.

He decided against me and resoldered the connections himself. He did a great job. His cold starts disappeared overnight and the truck ran like a top.... for a week.

Then the trans wouldn't shift, he had **** power and it was just overall crappy. He thought something else was happeneing and I pointed out that it happened after we messed with the FICM and to check it again.

You should have seen the damage. Don't know how or why, as all he did was resolder the connections with good stuff and we found no cross connects, but that baby fried.

I bought him a new FICM. We're leaving in 15 minutes to have ford program it to his truck.

I love the guy, and we have our differences, but sometimes I wish he wouldn't cheap out. In the end it cost more money but it was a valuable learning experience.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian View Post
My buddy was having a hard cold start, and a lot of times a no cold start. He swapped to the T5 and it didn't help. Later on, we noticed he didn't have an injector buzz at start up, so we check the FICM and discuss the fixes. This is his only vehicle at the moment.

He is a certified professional electronics technician. He knows his ****. He insisted on repairing it himself because "I REFUSE to pay $500-$800 on this stupid part!"

I requested he leave his truck down for awhile and send it to Swamps.

He decided against me and resoldered the connections himself. He did a great job. His cold starts disappeared overnight and the truck ran like a top.... for a week.

Then the trans wouldn't shift, he had **** power and it was just overall crappy. He thought something else was happeneing and I pointed out that it happened after we messed with the FICM and to check it again.

You should have seen the damage. Don't know how or why, as all he did was resolder the connections with good stuff and we found no cross connects, but that baby fried.

I bought him a new FICM. We're leaving in 15 minutes to have ford program it to his truck.

I love the guy, and we have our differences, but sometimes I wish he wouldn't cheap out. In the end it cost more money but it was a valuable learning experience.

Hey man, will you buy me a FICM so I can send it to Nutty at KEM?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Banned

wow.. im just sad she doesnt want to 'inconvience' her favorful mechanic and ask him to do a simple thing such as get elc.. sheesh..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.