A New Powerstoke For ME!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A New Powerstoke For ME!!!

Okay, So last month on leave I helped my best friend back home put a turbo back on his 03 350 DRW. This was my first "Moment" with a powerstroke and was HOOKED... So which brings us to now. I am in the millitary and do not have the money spend 50k on a truck actually not any where near there so i have been rageing on the internet trying to find a deal and I think i found one. I have 03 350 SRW crew cab xlt 6ft bed with 159,000 miles on it and the ford dealer is going to sell it to me for 9,900 after they put a new injector in the #8 and put new brakes on it. is this a good deal or have i been blinded by love at first sight?? any info would be GREAT Thanks oh there is no 5th hook up so i assume there has not been alot of heavy hullin. is this a bad assuption?

AHHHHH This dag gum net book i miss spelled POWERSROKE ahhh dont hate me!!!!

Last edited by Im Dave lx; 01-18-2011 at 07:31 PM. Reason: im a re-re
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Dave lx View Post
Okay, So last month on leave I helped my best friend back home put a turbo back on his 03 350 DRW. This was my first "Moment" with a powerstroke and was HOOKED... So which brings us to now. I am in the millitary and do not have the money spend 50k on a truck actually not any where near there so i have been rageing on the internet trying to find a deal and I think i found one. I have 03 350 SRW crew cab xlt 6ft bed with 159,000 miles on it and the ford dealer is going to sell it to me for 9,900 after they put a new injector in the #8 and put new brakes on it. is this a good deal or have i been blinded by love at first sight?? any info would be GREAT Thanks oh there is no 5th hook up so i assume there has not been alot of heavy hullin. is this a bad assuption?
Sounds like a pretty nice truck. But with any used truck there can always be underlying problems you can't see. As far as no goose neck goes...some guys can get pretty ridiculous with bumper pulls, but typically you'd be safe to assume that they haven't towed over the limit but some people are still pretty dumb when it comes to how you tow. Ask them if they have any records on things that have been replaced, at that point in a trucks life little things tend to wear out. You just have to make an informed decision and as long as you have addressed the known problems you should be pretty well off. Good luck man.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Make sure the oil cooler is not clogged before buying the truck. If you knoe someone with an Edge Insight monitor that you could use to test drive the truck with that would be the way to go. If you are absolutely certain you're going to buy a Powerstroke and can't borrow and Insight then buy one and take it with you. Plug it into the OBD II port and monitor the coolant temp and the oil temp. Take it for a good ride and get it up to operating temp. Cruising at 70 mph at normal operating temp the difference between the coolant and the oil should be less than 15 degrees. Typical is less than 10 degrees.

There is no ther way to know the condition of the oil cooler and if it is bad it could cost you thousands to fix the damage it can cause. Do not listen to the sales guy telling you "oh it's fine". Check it or get a written commitment to fix that and any downstream damage related if it is found to be bad within 30 days. Then get an Insight and check it.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Serving Our Country!

Okay so i talked to the dealer and I am going to make the 100 mi trip friday in the AM. I could not get my hands on edge, so I called the dealer and told him that when I took for a test drive i want the mechanic to have his handy dandy PC hooked up so I could see the numbers when we get to operating temp. He called back and said Okay. Will this be the same? Also, what are the ideal temp numbers I should be looking for? If yall have any last words of wisdom please speak now.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
make sure to run an Oasis report.....
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Serving Our Country!

Okay...I got it... When we did the test drive the temps never got above a 4 degree spread. I check the Oasis report and it looked good. So i brought it home it did great on the drive home bout 100mi and then around town with the family.. dose any one have any suggestions on what i should do first to it. now keep in mind my goal is for it to last forever im not to concerend with adding more power. thanks for alll of your help in makeing sure i get a good truck.

dave

Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 AM

Wow, congrats man! I love my truck and haven't looked back since i bought mine. Drive the crap out of it, dont baby it. What was on the OASIS report?
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks... All it had on there was a cudul. They say it goes on there when something happens with the account that the truck Is on. They said there was something shady about the financing from the first buyer and ford had to buy it back but that was the only thing on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.