Fuel MPG... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel MPG...

Hello all,

Well, i just fueled up the first time since picking up my truck. I have a 2007 6.0 automatic. it's a crew cab short bed with a cap.

My on dash was telling me 13.3 mpg almost the whole time and i hand calculated it at 13.2 mpg when i filled up.

Is that a common MPG for these trucks. I guess i'm a little dissapointed because i was expecting to get 17 ish.

The truck is totally stock and has stock tire size also. I love the truck, but just wish i was getting a little better fuel MPG than 13.

Any input or suggestions?

i'm planning on doing an oil change in the next coupel days. I'm pretty sure it has 15-40 in right now and it's pretty cold in Pennsylvania and isn't goign to let up so i'm going to switch to a 5w-40.

will that help the mpg being a synthetic oil?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Highway miles I get 18-19 easily running 65-70mpg. I have a ext cab short bed, xl model so less weight too. When i had a shell on my other truck my mileage dropped by about 2mpg. I get about 13 in town or less.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:34 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have to remember your getting a winter blend fuel right now, which means worse mileage. Changing the oil to syn is great for the truck but probably wont help the mileage. Before I went to a 35in tire I was averaging 16-19 in the warmer months, now I get 12-13. You can always get it tuned to help mpg
Old 01-18-2011, 02:51 PM

Im in PA too and in mid Dec. I got 19.4 hand calculated on a trip from western pa to state college and back. Filled up last friday and got 14.4 hand calculated, but that was just driving around the back roads of home. Its always been good on the highway 65-70mph and pretty much what I expected around town. Has gotten better since cat and complete egr removal.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Was that all city drivning? Sounds like my mileage. All I do is drive in the city, and with an EGR Delete, ARP's, Xtreme Street tune, and an exhaust I get 13.5-14.5 MPG.

19 on the rare highway occasion though.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Check my signature sometimes the truth hurts...
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM

The best I've ever seen on mine is 14.5 mpg on the highway. I have 3.73 gears with a CC short bed lariat and a lear topper. Ultra low sulfur diesel killed the millage on the 6.0 in my opinion, prior to it I could get 17 -18 mpg on the hwy on some other super duties.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It is all city so to speak. 10 miles to work, then 13 to the gym and 17 home from the gym. I just thought it would be better. Hopefully its better once it warms up.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
It will, the winter blend fuel kills my mileage also. And from what I've heard these trucks get terrible mileage until they have reached full temperature. So when it's 30* or below outside it takes a while for it to reach full temp.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I do notice a night and day difference once its fully warmed up. It runs much better then. I think ill go to 5w-40 oil for the rest of winter. From what I've read on here that's the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.