4wd Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4wd Question

Don't beat me up too bad. First time diesel and manual locking hubs owner

I believe that I have to manually lock the hubs in before I throw it into 4H. Is this true? If not, when do you lock the hubs in?

Thanks

2004 FX4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog1 View Post
Don't beat me up too bad. First time diesel and manual locking hubs owner

I believe that I have to manually lock the hubs in before I throw it into 4H. Is this true? If not, when do you lock the hubs in?

Thanks

2004 FX4
If you switch from 2 wheel hi it to HI 4x4 you are in 4 wheel drive but when you turn the hubs in you are really really in 4 wheel drive.
2 stroker
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Is your transfercase selector on the floor or on the dash? If its on the dash its as said above. If its on the floor then you have to manually lock the hubs for the 4x4 to work.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM

ford made an air locking 4X4 made to work when broken = lock the hubs.

i would just lock the hubs when you getting ready to use 4X4 and then select in inside your cab when u need it
Old 01-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

4x4 shifter is on the floor. Any issues with leaving the hubs locked and running it in 2wd and only shifting into 4 hi when you need it?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM

Around town it is OK to leave the hubs in. If you are on the hwy and dont expect to need 4by, unlock them.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Premium Member

I was just wondering all this.

You say if you have the switch on the dash < i have that > and you select it then you will be in 4x4. I agree with this due to the difference the front end feels. I can feel the front end with power and it steers a little different.

Now you say that locking the hubs is when you are in real 4x4? What do you mean by this?

My truck has caps over the front axle from the style of wheels i have. So i have no idea if i have the locking hubs and if i do whether they are locked or not.

I have seen some F350s with no locking hubs at all and i kinda assumed thats how mine is since theres no access to my front hubs due to the type of wheels that it came with. I just cant see why someone would cover the lockers on the hubs if you need them for 4x4.

Can you help me understand this? My last 4x4 was my F150 and it was full on shift on the fly and no hubs, they were completly automatic with a floor shifter. All i had to do was stop in nuetral to get to 4x4 low.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Every Super Duty 99-up that's a 4x4 has the hubs you can manually lock. The trucks with the knob on the dash can be actuated by vacuum. That doesn't mechanically lock the front end together like actually getting out and locking them by hand. I bet that your truck still has hubs you can physically lock by hand under your caps. If you feel a difference between when you turn your switch from 2H to 4H then your hubs probably aren't locked in. When I bought wheels and tires in CA they put full caps over my hubs. I went back and asked WTH I'm supposed to do to lock my hubs. They said nobody ever asked them that before, so I told them just get me some open caps already.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:51 AM

so what exactly is the difference between turning the knob for 4x4 and locking the hubs? I assume there shouldn't be any difference performance wise in the snow etc. Frankly, if the knob doesn't actually engage 4x4 fully then its pointless to me. Call me a conceded Audi guy, but I dont really feel like I should have to manually lock my hubs in 2011
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Are you sure you don't mean when I feel a difference in steering when I turn the switch to 4x4H my hubs are locked.

This morning it was realy icy so I turned the 4x4H on and when I would go around a sharp turn I could feel and hear the front tires binding just like in my F150 so that makes me think I'm in 4x4 because normally no matter how much I turn on pavement I never get front end binding.

I understand the vacuum part you mentioned but I would think the hubs are locked now and the switch is the engaging part.

So my next question would be if I unlocked my hubs what benefit do I get seeing how I have to remove my wheels now and then try to ding new center caps.

Mind you I bought my truck with the wheels otherwise I'd have the correct centers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.