$5k Complete Solution or Diesel Kleen and Seafoam? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question $5k Complete Solution or Diesel Kleen and Seafoam?

My truck is stock w/ 120k miles. Last 2 camping trips it has gone into "limp home" mode. After that, with no load, the turbo was slow to make any boost...was like driving a slug but that didn't happen with every acceleration. I noticed coolant on the driveway and topped of the degas with tap water.

I started using Diesel Kleen and Seafoam (not every fill up) and now the truck seems fine. I can take it out and dog it repeatedly, literally try to break something and it seems to laugh at me. I feel like I could drive anywhere, unless I'm towing the camper. I feel like the limp mode would happen again.

I just installed a Scangauge - Crusing at 70 mph with no load/outside temp 40* - ECT/175* and EOT/186*. According to what I've seen here on the org, those temps are low, probably needs a thermostat and since the ECT isn't at least 190*, the 15* delta doesn't apply.

I've received a few quotes around the $5000.00 mark for the complete solution (and a few other things) install and from what I understand, this is the best way to go, but Diesel Kleen and Seafoam are much cheaper.

Question: Other than coolant temp/heater, what purpose does the thermostat serve? The cab warms nicely. Why would I replace if the ECT/EOT are only going to climb?

What are some recommendations to address the "while towing" problem - bigger exhaust, coolant flush and filter? Looking for ideas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The cooler ECT would make the engine revert back to a warm up type mode, and keep it from obtaining full boost. I'd say to change the stat, and verify that the temps are high enough before chasing anymore problems. Could be all you need . Are your fuel filters clean/new?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:47 AM
I need money...

Not a 6.0 expert by any means or know alot about them but it seems like your vanes got stuck on your turbo and and the diesel kleen and seafoam cleaned them up. Just a thought.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

6.0 complete solutions usually comprise of head studs, head gaskets, oil cooler and some sort of solution for the EGR cooler. If your temperatures are good, I am not sure what the complete solution would do for you? Figuring out why you're de-fueling (limp mode) would be the best course of action. As mentioned it *could* be the turbo vanes sticking?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:18 AM

Even if your coolant doesn't reach 190, the oil cooler could still be plugged and keeping coolant from flowing through the EGR cooler (which will cause a failure). I understand that the system needs to be at operating temp for the 15*F delta temp "rule of thumb" to appply, but don't ignore it just because the thermotat is not closing off properly.

Last edited by bismic; 01-18-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
What are the ambient temps where you are at?

Theres one thing people forget with the 6.0 The thermostat fully opens at 190.

It partially opens at 182. So depending on ambient temps a 178-182 coolant temp is normal
Old 01-18-2011, 05:28 AM

Ambient temps and engine load. It will get to the full 190*F in very cold weather if you are working the engine hard enough.

Last edited by bismic; 01-18-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My truck is stock w/ 120k miles. Last 2 camping trips it has gone into "limp home" mode. After that, with no load, the turbo was slow to make any boost...was like driving a slug but that didn't happen with every acceleration. I noticed coolant on the driveway and topped of the degas with tap water.

You found coolant in the drive way? And topped off with water?.............

Where was the leak coming from? At which mark did you top off the degas bottle?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lilpooh - I figure it had to be coolant - it took much longer to dry than a simple wet spot. The thing is, I really couldn't tell where it came from. There was nothing abvious under the hood but I probably don't know what to look for. I added enough water (wasn't that much) to bring the level to min line on the degas bottle.

Dave - The temp yesterday was about 40* when I took it out for drive.

Thanks everyone for the help - I picked up a thermostat earlier and will get it changed out asap - then from there.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 AM

Do some searching on here about Seafoam. I've used it in my gas engines before but I remember reading that it can be bad for the diesels. You might want to stop that and pick up some simple 2-stroke oil from Walmart.

Are your fuel filters clean? When was the last oil change and what did you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.