Restore radiator flush question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Restore radiator flush question

Sorry if this has been beat up but I need your advice. My truck has 37700 miles on it and unfortunately, i recently did a radiator flush but used the ford coolant again. I also recently installed a dieselsite coolant filtration system. I have read a lot about going to an ELC coolant and i will be flushing out the ford stuff and going with a cat 1 ELC, but have a question regarding this.

1) considering I have low miles, would you consider using restore? My thinking is this: would there be that much silicate gel on my oil cooler/egr cooler to warrant this and if so, wouldn't this run a risk of clogging my oil/egr cooler with all the loose crap moving around?

I will be using the vc9 from ford as part of my flush but i am having second thoughts about the restore.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you are using Ford coolant, you must use RESTORE to clean it out. The EGR in our engines heats that coolant and silicates drop out of solution, eventually plugging your oil cooler and over heating the EGR cooler sending coolant into the engine. Especially if you have used this truck hard. Flush with RESTORE first, then VC9, distilled water, ELC. Do a search, I think 2 Stroker has a nice write up on flushing. I did mine, tons of silicate slime came out with the RESTORE.

John
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yup, do it right the first time.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAJOHN View Post
. Do a search, I think 2 Stroker has a nice write up on flushing.
John
I don't know if this is the write up John was thinking of, but it pretty much explains the process.

egr delete, cooler, and coolant flush questions

The only question I have to either 2 stroker or Mitch; Is is necessary to initially use distilled water to flush the system? Can water from the hose be fine for the first couple of flushes, let's say up until after the VC-9, then use distilled water:

There also seems to be some conflicting comments regarding the order of coolant cleaners to use. VC-9 then Restore or visa versa. It would seem to me you would use the Restore first then the VC-9 since the VC-9 has additives which prevent cavatation (sp?).

Bryan

Last edited by Calkidd; 01-18-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrazor View Post
Sorry if this has been beat up but I need your advice. My truck has 37700 miles on it and unfortunately, i recently did a radiator flush but used the ford coolant again. I also recently installed a dieselsite coolant filtration system. I have read a lot about going to an ELC coolant and i will be flushing out the ford stuff and going with a cat 1 ELC, but have a question regarding this.

1) considering I have low miles, would you consider using restore? My thinking is this: would there be that much silicate gel on my oil cooler/egr cooler to warrant this and if so, wouldn't this run a risk of clogging my oil/egr cooler with all the loose crap moving around?

I will be using the vc9 from ford as part of my flush but i am having second thoughts about the restore.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

ELC is the coolant recommended and used by International for this engine. .
Coolant Flush for changing to ELC

Drain coolant by removing lower radiator hose. Drain block from plug on drivers side of the block. Remove the thermostat. Replace plug in block and put lower hose back on. Put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Fill with distilled water. run for 5 minutes then drain as above..Fill and run 5 more minutes drain. Put in 3/4 to 1 gallon of Restore an top with distilled water. Drive it for an 60-90 minutes then drain. Flush 2 times with distilled water or whatever it takes to come clear. Put 2 qts of VC-9 or 3/4 to 1 gallon of Restore+ cost less and fill with distilled water. Drive it for about 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush after. Flush 3 more times with distilled water untill it come out clean. Replace thermostat or put in a new one. Put hose back, make sure block plug is tight. Add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. Make sure to run engine for 5 minutes between flushes to circulate the water good. Have heater on set to hi while doing this to flush the heater core too. new t/stat from Ford it should all come together (housing-t/stat-o-ring) in a box. The part number is RT-1169
2 stroker
Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkidd View Post
I don't know if this is the write up John was thinking of, but it pretty much explains the process.

egr delete, cooler, and coolant flush questions

The only question I have to either 2 stroker or Mitch; Is is necessary to initially use distilled water to flush the system? Can water from the hose be fine for the first couple of flushes, let's say up until after the VC-9, then use distilled water:

Bryan
Yes i think it would work i think Mitch would say the same thing do the last flush in distilled water then go for it.
2 stroker
Old 01-18-2011, 09:05 AM

Sorry 2 Stroker, but you say hose water would be fine for the first couple of flushes?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkidd View Post
Sorry 2 Stroker, but you say hose water would be fine for the first couple of flushes?
I think it would be ok to use, after the Restore+ cheaper than the VC-9 use distilled water the + or VC-9 removes the mineral so it should remove also the minerals in the water from the hose then go back with distilled water until clean the add the ELC coolant.
2 stroker
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am doing this process this week. Is the order of operation Restore then VC9 or VC9 then Restore or does it matter??
Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by local851ff View Post
I am doing this process this week. Is the order of operation Restore then VC9 or VC9 then Restore or does it matter??
Yes it matters do the restore first this remove only the silicate slug slim then use the VC-9 this remove the mineral build up--- get the restore+ 1/2 the price of the VC-9
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.