cold start, fuel, GP, or injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
cold start, fuel, GP, or injectors?

so 80k of trouble free miles on my 6.0, and it all of a sudden says funk you to me this weekend, since saturday morning, the truck wont start that great, it hasnt been above 10* since friday. i thought the fuel was gelled, added PS 911 and plugged her in cranked her up she ran rough and smoked changed the filter after. about 40 seconds later it cleaned up and and ran fine. after sitting for 8 hours the last three days, i cycle the plugs (the light comes on and off) crank her for about 15 seconds, and she starts to caugh and smoke, kinda like the way my pete does at work (no plugs or heater) but i thought the light would not illuminate if the GPs were not working? and i all ready ran codes, there are none. basically im wondering if its injector stictation or glow plugs (how can i test the relay?) the truck fires every time, and after ~40 seconds it cleans up and stops smoking, i hopped on the highway today and pinned the pedal at 35 on the ramp, rears cut loose and i held it till just about 100 (no traffic) so its all there still. this issue is driving my nucking futs. or is it possible that since its been -10* that the fuel is just making the truck hard to start.

Last edited by mustangman02232; 01-17-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM

mine is like that if i don't plug it in, so that's what i do.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
mine does it when its plugged in, (12 hours last night) is there a way to test the GP relay or the GPs? it did the same thing this morning. even with the light on there is no power or fuel loss and the thing STILL fires first crank as long as you hold it for 10-15 seconds and depress the fuel pedal about a quarter of the way. but i know somethings not right so im hoping i dont do any damage
Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 AM

FICM may be bad. When mine went bad I had bad cold starts like this.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM

I had the same problem as you, it turned out being stand pipe / dummy plug o-rings. all of the sudden it wouldn't start one day, warm, but for about 10 months prior I had an extended crank time cold. The problem it was still within ford spec of 5 sec. or less. Identical to the OP, all of the sudden one day it went from starting instantly to 3-5 sec crank time.
If they haven't been upgraded yet it should probably be done anyways, the new ones are much improved over what was installed at the time of build.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusa View Post
FICM may be bad. When mine went bad I had bad cold starts like this.
I second this. Check your FICM voltage. You should have 46-48 volts all the time cranking and running.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM

i checked the ficm two months ago when i started having a small issue, i swapped the 1030 oil back to the 540 ive all ways ran and it went away (rotella only), it was 47.8X volts, and the truck smokes on start up, which is why im thinking glow plugs over ficm, is there a way to test the controller? I got a CEL this morning, all injector codes and a P0000 (no info found) that came up 9 times. wrote them down and deleted them and they havent been back in the 10 hours ive been plowing.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All injector codes would lead me to think FICM too. I would double check that. Did you check it while cranking it over?

If you're sure your FICM is good I would look at the IPR or the ICP. But honestly if it isn't the FICM you are going to need something like AutoEnginuity to really find out what's wrong. It costs too much to just throw parts at it.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:06 PM

just talked to a buddy of mine who does diesels, says start with doing the fuel filters (again) and that one of the places i go to for fuel uses crap fuel, start using sunoco. so tomorrow im going to fuel up, and do the fuel filters, if thats not it i have no history of the stratagy being updated from the original owner. also i test the ficm about 6 weeks ago and it was perfect, but i am going to double check while its in the heated garage doing the filters

cranking over the ficm was 42 IIRC wen i tested it
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM

UPDATE WITH VID

so im still having this problem, it was about freezing the last few days and went away above 20*, now its back below 0 and not starting again, ive been working 16 hour days and today has been my first day to screw around with it, went to start it today because i would much rather work on it in a heated garage then the cold snowy ground. this is driving me nuts because there have been no more CELs since wed (P0261 injector #1 ckt low, P0264; #2 inj, P0267 #3 inj, P0270 #4 inj, Po273 #5 inj, P0276 #6 inj, and P0000, no info, which came up 10 times) truck is cranking, i can smell fuel and there is black smoke coming out the exhaust but not starting. I ordered REVX friday to put in the truck but its not here yet. truck is not loosing power or anything, just not starting below 0, runs rough for 20 seconds and clears up. how do i test the GP module or do i just have to replace it ($150 at my cost)

whats the newest strategy this is what i pulled up in my truck when i read mine with my SCT
vxbctn7
Tqbfonb

vid

Last edited by mustangman02232; 01-23-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.