What if any are the differences in the 05 and 06 6.0 engines? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What if any are the differences in the 05 and 06 6.0 engines?

Getting ready to buy a new truck. Always been a 7.3 guy cause of all the 6.0 problems but I like the pedal response of the 6.0. Not to mention the newer interior and exterior. Without a bunch of mods the 7.3 won't have the pedal and the interior would have to be replaced. My question is is there a difference at all in the 05 and 06 6.0? What should I anticipate in immediate mods such as egr delete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 01:03 PM
The Silent Service

There was a change from 18 to 20mm headbolts in trucks manufactured after Jan '06. Other than that, the '05 and '06 are basically the same. The standard 6.0L mods apply equally to both. Mines in the shop now, due to oil cooler failure and head gaskets (an '07). Immediate mods, the best thing I suggest is do whatever you want with the EGR (I'm going with the one from Bullet-Proof Diesel, most folks here say delete the bugger) and switch to a silicate-free ELC. I've learned from my neglect of this problem.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Colo sorry to hear it's in the shop. That's what worry's me everyone says they stay in the shop with the 6.0. What's the deal with thegaskets I always hear about the gaskets but never hear about the root problem.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Benjamin hit the nail. I'm still up in the air about the ELC's though. Plenty of vehicles have gone many miles with the Ford gold stuff. I did hear, that once you hit 100k or so, the silicates start to drop out of the mix, and then clog oil coolers. The BPD stuff is top notch, whether you want to delete the EGR cooler or keep it. If you do find a need for replacing the EGR cooler, spend the extra cash and replace the oil cooler at the same time, because it's very likely that it is the culprit for popping the EGR cooler
Old 01-17-2011, 01:19 PM
The Silent Service

Alright root problem is this, the oil cooler is a oil-coolant heat exchanger. Very narrow pathways for the coolant to go and then flow into the EGR cooler. The Ford Gold Coolant, clogs these pathways with silicate deposits and gunk (reason for the coolant filter) when the oil cooler clogs, it deprives the EGR of coolant flow. The seals fail in the EGR (requiring its replacement) and leak coolant in the engine. The coolant flash-steams and vents out the head gaskets and degas bottle. That's my understanding of the issue in a nutshell, and I'm not a mechanic.

My cooler lasted only 64k, and I've known some bearly break 20k, its a bit of a crap shoot. The oil cooler gives one known indication prior to failing like this, and its not monitored from the dash. You'll need an Insight or gauges, and watch EOT/ECT a spread of 15 degrees, and take her own for an oil cooler.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokewitpower View Post
Colo sorry to hear it's in the shop. That's what worry's me everyone says they stay in the shop with the 6.0. What's the deal with thegaskets I always hear about the gaskets but never hear about the root problem.
It can be caused by too hot of a tune, but in his case, it's probably the EGR cooler that popped and let coolant in the cylinders and then lifted the heads that way
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
The Silent Service

Yeah, that's the other thing. Some 6.0L Owner's are tuner-happy, and push things a bit farther than they probably should.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM

I have a 06 F-250 with 155k miles on it. I havent had any real major issues except EGR valve replaceced and injector #1 replaced. I plan opening up the exhuast and getting a CTS to montior everything. Im still up in the air on doing the Collant filter kit,BPD EGR cooler and oil cooler since I havent had any issues yet. other than the truck is great! Pulled a 24' gooseneck down I-10 going 80 and forgot i had the trailer back there loaded.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
These motors love clean fluids, run a good 5w 40 synthetic oil all year. Put a coolant filter on, and get gauges or a monitor. The 6.0 is not fragile, in the 106xxx I've had mine no egr/oil cooler issues, my temp difference is never more than 4 degrees. It is however a higher maintenance motor.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:00 PM

If the coolant itself starts the problem off would another coolant eliminate the problem? Everyone, I know with one has done the delete so there must be no way to stop it. I am very apprehensive about getting a 6.0. Somebody give me some kind of reassurance. Sounds like it's the same as owning a BMW. Damn oh well I'll just take it as it comes.

Last edited by Strokewitpower; 01-17-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.