EGR Delete...hiss under boost, latest Ford flash???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete...hiss under boost, latest Ford flash????

I recently installed an EGR Delete kit and a new oil cooler (Dec. 2010). I removed the EGR valve and installed the block-off plate that was supplied with the kit. Also a new solid up-pipe was installed with the kit as well along with radiator flush and refill.

My truck is a 2004 with a 2003 motor (bone stock other than EGR delete) according to the tag on the block. Every since I have installed the parts the truck now has a hiss only when the turbo is developing boost; like going up a hill. Not sure if it is an exhaust leak since I cannot hear any hissing with the truck idling in my driveway.

The truck doesn't have any CEL lights but it runs kinda crappy now. Hills I could just cruise up with a little more boost and gas almost every time requires the the truck to downshift. When the work was done they also flashed the truck to the latest one. I have since read that there is some sort of "EPA" limp mode for the new flash if the truck doesn't detect an EGR valve. I tried to plug the EGR valve back into the harness and it made no difference; at least none that I could detect.

Do I have an exhaust leak pre-turbo? Or is the "EPA" limp mode my issue?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You will have to leave the EGR valve plugged in now, with that new flash. It also disables your cooling fan if it doesn't see an EGR valve. Just plug it in and leave it sitting in there on top of the engine. I would say that you have an exhaust leak before the turbo, like maybe a cracked Y pipe or maybe the plug didn't seal in the up-pipe, depending on who's delete kit you used.

If you do have a cracked Y pipe, I have a spare one that I'll sell you at a 3rd of the price for a new one
Old 01-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will a SCT with a custom tune take care of having to leave the EGR plugged in? How hard is it to re-flash back to what I had?

What's the easiest way to check the Y-pipe for a leak?

Thanks,
Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chizetown View Post
Will a SCT with a custom tune take care of having to leave the EGR plugged in? How hard is it to re-flash back to what I had?

What's the easiest way to check the Y-pipe for a leak?

Thanks,
I don't know that for sure, all I know is that it will keep you from having CEL issues. I think that once it's been reflashed, you're going to have to leave it plugged in . As far as getting it reflashed back, I doubt that's gonna happen

Probably a smoke test would be the easiest and fastest, but it's a b!tch to see anythign back there, and if it only happens with the higher pressures it could be impossible to find. Maybe start the truck in the am and have someone sit in the truck and power brake it and see if you can hear or feel the leak . Make sure you trust whoever you use to do the powerbrakeing, since you'll be laying on top of the engine
Old 01-17-2011, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Contact PHP (Power Hungry Performance) they can reflash to a older calibration.

Power Hungry Performance - Feed your hunger for POWER!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I talked with Innovative Diesel and they indicated that their tunes correct the "limp" mode issue with the EGR valve not being plugged in and also the cooling fan issues.

Anyone else have knowledge using a custom tune from ID and have there ER valve removed? Any side effects?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.