Toolbox? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Toolbox?

So I have been thinking about getting a toolbox for the bed of my truck. I was talking with a guy at the local truck accessories store and he said I should think twice about getting a box because it will be hard to get in and out of. I can see what he was saying but wasn't sure what to think about it. He personally drives a lifted truck so that might make a difference.

Here is what I was thinking about getting.

I am using this box for storing my 2-stroke oil and an extra qt of oil for the engine. I will also put some tools in there but I am not someone that works out of my truck so it's more like a place to securely put all the crap I do not want to have inside the cab. What do you think? Will it be too hard to get in and out of? I am 6'3".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm about your same height and I think it would be a little tough to get some of the stuff out of the middle of box for sure. I bought a couple boxes with slide out drawers that go behind the wheel well in the bed, but they won't work in mine because of the way the tonneau cover sits.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM

I'm the same height as you. I have a weather guard tool box and it's the deep one. It's pretty hard to get to the bottom. But it can be done lol. I bought my box used off a buddy. If I were you I'd get the normal size and not a deep box. Hope this helps little
Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 PM

I prefer, and have, one with just one lids and hinges along the front of the box. That way if you need to, you can get something bigger in there. That type of lid you picture limits the size of something you can place down into the box.
If you can't reach the bottom, just climb into the bed and get it.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM

Thanks for the posts so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas157 View Post
I prefer, and have, one with just one lids and hinges along the front of the box. That way if you need to, you can get something bigger in there. That type of lid you picture limits the size of something you can place down into the box.
If you can't reach the bottom, just climb into the bed and get it.
I forgot to mention that the guy I was talking to also said the same thing about the larger items. I am not all that worried about that but it would be nice. My bigger concern is getting in and out of it from the side of the bed.

What do you think about something like this. I realize it will not hold much.

Toolbox for 2005 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty - UWS UWS00433
Old 01-16-2011, 07:44 PM

Tool box

I'm only 5'9, my tuck is leveled, with 35's, and I have a deep box with a tonneau cover, its not too hard to reach what I need in the bottom of my toolbox, if I cant reach it I just get up on the tire and no problems.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Having a truck without a box is silly to me. Unless you have a tiny *** bed like a F150 CC.

All of the things I want to keep where I can reach go into a bucket that is tied down to one side of my box. I reach in (cetane booster/funnel/rags) and get what I need. If there is something else, then my butt is not lazy enough that i can't just hop on the tire and ninja jump into the bed to get whatever I need.

Get the box IMO. I personally hate the gullwing style you have pictured in your first post, but any box is better than no box.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

I have a tool chest. It sits inside the bed. I have my viair compressors and tank in there as well as some oil, air hose, jumper cables. I rarely get in there and I have to climb in the bed to access it.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 PM

I have a single lid box. I keep an air tank in it, log chains, tow rope, my fuel additives/funnel, and a ratchet set in it. I also think there is miscellaneous stuff in it like shot gun shells, sledge hammer, bolt cutters, etc. Stuff that you might need sometime. I would never own a truck with out a tool box. The stuff I access regularly like my additive/funnel and chains I keep on the side of the box so I can access them without getting in the bed of the truck.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I thought about getting one for awhile but I don't like that it limits the useable space in the box so I got a large weather proof tot with lockable lid that sits in my back seat unless I need room for passengers then I put it in the back of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.