new to this site, have questions on my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to this site, have questions on my 6.0

Hello,

Been on FTE since I owned truck, got tired of them never answering my question...always some dude saying Hey, I have a ranger and put 17's on it, never really got my info

my main question is this....Should I keep this truck or sell it?

After researching adding a Coolant filter I see all these issues below...my truck is a 2006 6.0, FX4 with SRW

- Stock Conti tires suk..didn't need a forum to tell me that
- Ranchos are said to be junk, I need to change them to Bilsteins
- Need to install coolant filter
- Need to remove stock muffler and replace with MBRP or Banks to lower EGT
- Need to install EGT and other temp gauges
- Need to install oil bypass
- Need to run Stanadyne....which I have started
- Need to add REV-X at oil change...haven't
- Need to change filters and oil sooner than is recommended in factory manual

Should I do all these things? Should I sell my truck? I am on my 2nd set of injectors and 3rd FICM....Ford upped my warranty to 7/200k

Also, the coolant filter....I have seen posts from people who say they install it as early as 5k...then they say the have clooged oil coolers...if the coolant filter is so good, why do people still have clogged oil coolers after installing the coolant filter

I am not opposed to spending 125 bucks, I just don't want to waste my money and have the dieselsite filter not really help

thanks and appreciate any responses

Last edited by baitdragger; 01-16-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitdragger View Post
Hello,

Been on FTE since I owned truck, got tired of them never answering my question...always some dude saying Hey, I have a ranger and put 17's on it, never really got my info

After researching adding a Coolant filter I see all these issues below...my truck is a 2006 6.0, FX4 with SRW

- Stock Conti tires suk..didn't need a forum to tell me that
- Need to install coolant filter Well worth the money.
- Need to remove stock muffler and replace with MBRP or Banks to lower EGT If you are somewhere you can just straight pipe it.
- Need to install EGT and other temp gauges Definite musts. Need to monitor the vitals.
- Need to add REV-X at oil change...haven't Not necessary.
- Need to change filters and oil sooner than is recommended in factory manual Just make sure you change them on schedule and you should be good.

Should I do all these things? Should I sell my truck? I am on my 2nd set of injectors and 3rd FICM....Ford upped my warranty to 7/200k Only you can decide if you want to sell it. It also depends on if you want to mod it or not.

Also, the coolant filter....I have seen posts from people who say they install it as early as 5k...then they say the have clooged oil coolers...if the coolant filter is so good, why do people still have clogged oil coolers after installing the coolant filter

I am not opposed to spending 125 bucks, I just don't want to waste my money and have the dieselsite filter not really help

to the ORG!! My responses are in red.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:13 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Hello,

After researching adding a Coolant filter I see all these issue...my truck is a 2006 6.0, FX4 with SRW

- Stock Conti tires suk
- Need to install coolant filter
- Need to add REV-X at oil change...haven't
- Need to change filters and oil sooner than is recommended in factory manual

Should I do all these things? Should I sell my truck? I am on my 2nd set of injectors and 3rd FICM....Ford upped my warranty to 7/200k

Yes the conti tires suck, run 'em until you need to change 'em
Shocks, again, I will use them until I need to replace them, Bilsteins MIGHT be on my list
Coolant filter is a must, as is getting rid of that Ford Crap coolant.
Oil bypass is up to you as an owner. I have one and change my oil at 5000 miles
I don't use stanadyne, I get mine from Autozone (one of the few things I will buy there) white bottle in the winter, gray rest of year
I will wait until I have some evidence of a stiction issue before I start using the Rev-x or HSS stuff.
Like I said, I change my oil @ 5000 miles, my fuel filters...I haven't really given them much of a thought. I replaced them when I bought my truck 5 months (and 10K miles) ago.

The coolant filter will not catch everything, nor will a bypass oil filtration. They are only as good as the maintenance done on them, keeping in mind their limitations. They help a known issue, and won't remedy it. If someone already has the oil cooler plugging up, putting in a coolant filter will not reverse what has already taken place. It is a band-aid to lengthen the time before the next failure. You might not have another failure IF you clean out your cooling system, get ELC or Evans coolant in there and are a lucky individual.
The ONLY way to make your oil cooler last the life of the truck is to get it out of where it is now. Put one of THESE on your truck and forget about those issues forever. The next thing inline that will continue to fail is the EGR cooler, if you keep using the stock type of cooler. Use the cooler that is on that same website for the oil cooler and you won't have to worry about that either.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 01-16-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks guys

are you refering to ELC as CAT ELC?? that is already 50/50 mix correct? are you using it at stock strength?

manual says my ford coolant should last another 50k miles. guess that isn't quite correct

thanks again for quick responses
Old 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM
information regurgitator

CAT ELC is one of the ELC's people are using.
I am not currently using it, I plan on going the Evans coolant route in the spring. That will be a little tougher to do, but I feel it will be worth the effort.

The sooner you get that Ford coolant out, the better off you will be. I am stuck until the spring due to where I moved (NY City) and all my tools are still in New Hampshire.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Hello,

Been on FTE since I owned truck, got tired of them never answering my question...always some dude saying Hey, I have a ranger and put 17's on it, never really got my info WELCOME TO A GROWN MANS FORUM

- Stock Conti tires suk..didn't need a forum to tell me that my 2nd set no complaints
- Ranchos are said to be junk, I need to change them to Bilsteins ,slighty better
- Need to install coolant filter yep
- Need to remove stock muffler and replace with MBRP or Banks to lower EGT nope but it willd o it
- Need to install EGT and other temp gauges there nice to have
- Need to install oil bypass nope waste
- Need to run Stanadyne....which I have started ford has a good ceatane boost
- Need to add REV-X at oil change...haven't 1 qt ATF will do the same
- Need to change filters and oil sooner than is recommended in factory manual yes ford was wrong and the new interval is half call any international dealer

Should I do all these things? Should I sell my truck? I am on my 2nd set of injectors RUN TWO STROKE OIL AND YOU WILL HAVE NO INJECTOR ISSUES THEY PROBALLY WERNT BAD BUT NEW IS NICE. and 3rd FICM. LOVE THAT WARRANTY...Ford upped my warranty to 7/200k you lucky dog keep her, keep her, keep her

I am not opposed to spending 125 bucks, I just don't want to waste my money and have the dieselsite filter not really help it will help and do a good flush and change to a NO SILICA ELC coolant

AND KEEP SOAKING THEM FOR FREE PARTS WITH THAT AWESOME WARRANTY

Last edited by superjet701k; 01-16-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Hello,

- Stock Conti tires suk..didn't need a forum to tell me that ----I keeped mine untill they wore to their limit, so in my case they do not suck.
- Ranchos are said to be junk, I need to change them to Bilsteins -----I still have stock shocks, no NEED to change them. If you want to then do it. But there is no NEED.
- Need to install coolant filter ----This is not a need, but I will highly suggest getting it from diesel site.
- Need to remove stock muffler and replace with MBRP or Banks to lower EGT----This WILL lower egts, no NEED to change the stock exhaust.
Here are links for a cheap place to get an exhaust system. Unless you can get a vender to get you a cheaper price.
----Links----

Diamond Eye K4346A 4" Off Road No Muffler Single Ford F250 & F350 03 - 07 6.0L
Diamond Eye 03-07 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke 4" Turbo Back Single Exhaust
Diamond Eye K4346A 4" Off Road Single Ford F250 & F350 03 - 07 6.0L
https://www.justdieseltrucks.com/cgi...y=MBRPS6212PLM
MBRP Performance Series Aluminized Turbo Back (No Muffler)
Rollin Smoke Diesel. 2003-2007 Ford 6.0 MBRP Performance Series Aluminized Turbo Back No Muffler

Or you can buy cat delete pipes and get a cat back exhaust system.

- Need to install EGT and other temp gauges This is not a NEED. Depending on how you use it you should get an EDGE Insight. This will monitor all of the necessary parameters.
- Need to install oil bypass No NEED. If you use standard oil, try and keep the oil chagnes under 6,000 miles. If you use synthetic, try keep the oil changes under 7,000 miles. Unless you get the oil testes fro ~$30 from black stone labs and they say that you can go farther on the intervals.
- Need to run Stanadyne....which I have started stanadyne is great but expensive. I and many will use power services diesel kleen often or every once in a while.
- Need to add REV-X at oil change...haven't No need at all unless you have a difficult time starting your truck this will clean the system out.
- Need to change filters and oil sooner than is recommended in factory manual I change my fuel filters every 10,000 miles

Should I do all these things? Should I sell my truck? I am on my 2nd set of injectors and 3rd FICM....Ford upped my warranty to 7/200k NICE!!!!! keep the truck!!!

Also, the coolant filter....I have seen posts from people who say they install it as early as 5k...then they say the have clooged oil coolers...if the coolant filter is so good, why do people still have clogged oil coolers after installing the coolant filter over time the motorcraft coolant fill fail. You do not HAVE/NEED to change it NOW. But eventualy switch to something else

I am not opposed to spending 125 bucks, I just don't want to waste my money and have the dieselsite filter not really help Here is a link to a cheaper and just as effective way of having a coolant filter.

----link-----
coolant filter mount.

Trans-Dapt Performance Products 1028 - Trans-Dapt Performance Remote Oil Filter Brackets - Overview - SummitRacing.com
list of coolant filters.
Dieselsite Coolant Filters
--------------

Coments above

Here is a link for my coolant filter results from the diesel site kit. I really like using FleetGuard coolant filters. very good quality.
7,000 mile coolant filter
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Jeez, looks like I don't need to add anything.

I will say this. The reason the oil coolers clog with the ford gold coolant is because the coolant has silicates in it, which when exposed to the very high temperatures that these engines produce, separate from the coolant and then turn into a gel type substance that clogs the oil cooler. After the oil cooler is clogged, the egr cooler goes. after that goes, the headgaskets are typically next to follow.

Use a good quality oil in your truck, not the regular dino 15w-40, and that should save your injectors. Also using a cetane booster (I use diesel kleen gray bottle) will help with the lubricating of the injectors on the fuel side and should also keep them living longer.

My last truck had 135k when I traded in. Nothing was ever replaced. Everything was factory in that engine.

This truck has 112k on the clock and the same scenario. You can get good trucks but you have to treat them good and not cheap out on the maintenance.

Keep the truck dewd and frequent the forums.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:00 PM

dello, rotella, mobil delvac, ford.... they are good standard oils.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
One more thing to add to your list. Hey, I have a Ranger! And put 17's on it!! JK! Couldn't resist!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.