Advise on Possible Purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advise on Possible Purchase

Hi Everyone

I am looking at buying the following truck:

2004 FORD F-250 SUPER DUTY Harley Davidson Edition Quad Cab 4x4. Mint condition. Crown rust control. Diesel. Heated Leather Seats, air bags, sunroof, loaded. Never worked only used occasionally to tow small motorcycle trailer. Always dealer seviced. Banks exhaust 4" cat delete. Come with high end low profile fiberglas cap. Also comes with tonneau cover. appox. 62000 miles. 6.0 engine built August 2004.

I have read a lot about the issues with the 6.0 Powerstroke engine and it has scared me away from the deal. The owner has given me his service records and I did see that Ford did EGR cooler but not oil cooler or head gaskets etc.

Should I buy this truck or am I asking for trouble?

Here is the link to the ad

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-cars...AdIdZ239483623

notice he has added a 2yr 40 k warranty to the truck and is now firm asking $27000.

What would I need to do to the truck to ensure good performance for years to come without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Last edited by JimBo_KW; 01-17-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 AM
Premium Member

If you can, get something to check the temps. ECT and EOT. If they replaced the egr cooler and not the oil cooler, you may still have an issue there. Only one way to find out.

Link to buying used:

buying used, what to look for? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Fear will subside with knowledge.

I love my 6.0L.

And it sounds like a real nice truck.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 AM
Serving Our Country!

I agree with what was just said. I'd find away to check the eot and ect. A mechanic at the dealership can do that. I would probably find one there who'd like to make a little bit of money on the side and check it out. If your delta temps are good then more than likely the head gaskets are to.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just bought a truck with 180,000 miles on it, an 03. I got the ford report and ford has never done the cooler or egr in this rig. Its hard to say if it was ever done by another shop. I just bought a monitor to check it out but its not back on the road till spring. Lots of these trucks seem to go a long ways before needing this done. Since yours has had an egr cooler makes a guy wonder though. It would be handy if you knew somone with a monitor that you could plug in for a test drive.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM

If you want a solid truck buy it, if it breaks fix it. If you don't want to wait for it to break, but it, put 4 grand into it then never worry about it again.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM

If you are going to by one either way get yourself an Edge CS or CTS and you can use it to see many things that might be happening with the truck. Have you asked a Ford dealer to pull an OASIS report? That will show you every time the truck was in for warranty work.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well thanks for all the info so far. It sounds like good advise. The seller also has a Bull Dog Uploader he said he paid $700 for. Would it be able to check the temps. ECT and EOT?
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBo_KW View Post
Well thanks for all the info so far. It sounds like good advise. The seller also has a Bull Dog Uploader he said he paid $700 for. Would it be able to check the temps. ECT and EOT?
he would know. if he has nothing to hide have him hook it up and show you. price is everything she should be under $20k. unless its a real steel id drop the harley option and opp for a few year newer truck. there where some tranny recalls see if they were done. 06&07 are the best years for the 6.0 most of the small bugs were worked out. Some of 2004 had low idle and stalling issues. just my .02
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just a note to say I edited my first posting to include a link the the Ad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.