Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 Exhaust

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  veach3 
#1 ·
I have another question about my 6.0 Powerstroke. I bought the truck a few months back. Truck had a 6in straight pipe exhaust all the way back. I know these truck like a free flowing exhaust behind them but a few people have told me it is to big. They say that i am losing performance because it has to little back pressure? Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. :icon_ford:

#2 ·
back pressure on a turbocharged vehicle is completely retarded. Your turbo is your back pressure. the faster that turbo gets air in and out, the better.

you're fine with the 6" but I must admit that I am willing to bet a lot of money it sounds like a busted cornhole after chili night.

#3 ·
No i dont think so anyways has a roar. But i will give it to you a smaller one might sound better. Never road in another 6.0 with a straight pipe actually. But i just thought it was odd they were saying i was losing performance from the size

#4 ·
I wanna see a video so I can hear that beast. :thumb:

6" seems extremely large. Heck, I thought my 4" pipe was huge. And then my 6" tip!

#6 ·
I wanna see a video so I can hear that beast. :thumb:

6" seems extremely large. Heck, I thought my 4" pipe was huge. And then my 6" tip!
You guys are talking about exhaust here arent you? :rofl::hehe: Sorry I couldnt resist.

#11 ·
Since were talking exhaust, whats the recommended set up? I have a cat and factory muffler on mine still and want to change that out.

In Oregon i don't think they inspect the trucks as i got special weighted tow plates in July and they didn't ask to see my truck.

What size is best to go with from Turbo back?

If i run a muffler to keep the noise down a bit whats a good brand and size i need to be looking for.

The local Midas looked it over and said i wouldn't gain anything because i already have a 3inch pipe on the truck.

People also keep saying Turbo back, Can you actually add a larger diameter pipe from the turbo to the cat? I always thought you just cut the pipe at the cat and start there. I guess i dont see the connection here as when to realy open the exhaust you would add headers.

BTW i was looking at the headers and man there small. Does anyone upgrade the exhaust manifolds?

#13 ·
As far as a 6" straight-pipe exhaust, yeah that's a little excessive, but to each his own. If you're wanting to quite it, drop to the 4", but I'd say if you're comfortable with the noise its producing leave it. You're not losing any power from that setup.

Since were talking exhaust, whats the recommended set up? I have a cat and factory muffler on mine still and want to change that out. ..
...People also keep saying Turbo back, Can you actually add a larger diameter pipe from the turbo to the cat? I always thought you just cut the pipe at the cat and start there. I guess i dont see the connection here as when to realy open the exhaust you would add headers.

BTW i was looking at the headers and man there small. Does anyone upgrade the exhaust manifolds?
You want to keep stock exhaust manifolds to keep as much pressure on that Turbo as you can. Most of the folks here would agree with me, 4" turbo-back setup, with the CAT (optional) and 3.5" down-pipe is really all you're gonna need on these trucks up to around 500HP. That's where the line is really. You'll see about a 100 degree drop in EGT's upgrading to a 3.5" DP. If you are building more power, look at a 4" DP. Fitting the 4" is a little tighter and may rub on the firewall but it should be fine. The 5" exhaust systems are loud and for the price don't offer much more performance, unless again you're shooting for over 500HP.

#12 ·
4" turbo back exhaust is what you want. You can replace the stock down pipe, a turbo back system will come with a new DP. A cat back system will leave stock DP and cat in place.

Don't waste money on headers, there's a lot of guys running big turbos and injectors with stock exhaust manifolds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.