Diesel shop in STL for coolant flush? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diesel shop in STL for coolant flush?

Any of you guys / gals know of a good shop that would be able to flush my coolant system? I live in the St. Louis area - Ofallon MO.

I've called a couple of local shops and chain service centers and they do not seem very knowledgeable. I've asked them all if distilled water is used and the response has been no... and they only have "universal" synthetic coolant. This makes me a bit nervous and I would much prefer to get this done by someone that knows diesels.

I'm fairly confident this is a task I can handle, but it's coooold outside and my motivation is not quite sufficient to embark.

Thanks,
J5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Besides a Ford dealer there's nobody in the StL area that I would trust to do it. I know there has to be 1 or 2 good reliable diesel shops around here somewhere but all I can recommend is shops that you should NOT go to. Unless its critical I think you should just read up all you can and wait til its nice enough to do it yourself.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 AM

Yeah, that's kind of what I was afraid you'd tell me. I called Marshall Ford (closest to me) and they'll be glad to do it for me but insist on Motocraft recommended coolant. The guy did tell me that they will run a cleaner through it and that it is a complete flush. $120.00 and an hour of my time. I figure it will cost me close to $100.00 and 3+ hours if I do this myself, but, I will be able to put the CAT ELC coolant in it.

The situation is not critical, at least as far as I know. I'm fairly sure the coolant has been in the truck since it was new - 130K on it. This is one of those things that will eat at me until I get it done.

Decisions, decisions.... Are you running the gold stuff?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I just flushed both my 7.3s last year and put the Fleetrite ELC in one and CAT ELC in the other, same thing though. The 6.4 has the gold in it and am not sure yet. If I can find a good DIY writeup on it then will switch to the ELC otherwise may end up letting FORD flush some more gold through it. 7.3 have Dieselsite coolant filters and the 6.4 will when its get flushed also.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 AM

OK, so my curiosity got the best of me. I called to get an OASIS report b/c I wanted to know what has been done to this truck. There is NO service history on this truck! Just a few notes for routine maint. How? The only thing I can think is that the owner had his work done elsewhere?? This does not make sense.

I find it hard to believe there has been no warranty work done to this truck... it's time to track down the previous owner.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Where did you pick up the ECL coolant? I assume I will have to call around a bit to find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.