truck wont cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
truck wont cold start

so last night i drove home normally from work, parked the truck, and passed out after the blizzard we had and being up for 3 days, this morning i woke up, went to start the truck, it was 2* outside at 10:30. truck wasnt plugged in, let the plugs cycle twice, cranked over, and seems like it breifly caught, and stopped, did it again and it the same thing. Im thinking the fuel is gelled but i know my 6.0 is not as simple as my old IDI was so i figured id as a second opinion, oil+fuel is done within 1500 miles, new batts, etc never had a problem with the truck. were supposed to get snow again tonight so i kinda need it.

FICM was tested a while back and was within spec
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 07:29 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
My thought would be the same as yours. Geled fuel. I am guessing you didnt have any additives in their?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
powerservice white bottle, i just put the 911 in there and plugged the truck in, is this going to do any damage to the motor/injectors etc?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM

No that is good stuff won't hurt a thing. It is a good idea to change the fuel filter if it is gelled up though. Has it started in that cold of temps without problems in the past? Because my 7.3 won't start at that temp unless it is plugged in, mine will only start down to about 10 degrees when not plugged in.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 AM

not this year, it did last year about -5* and it was kinda rought, and it only sat for about 9 hours., and there is another 25k on it since then, its been sitting for a good 14-15 hours now. i have an extra racor filter so ill do that, is there any harm in changing them in the cold temp with those stupid plastic caps or will it be ok to drive it 6 miles to my uncles shop and do it there? injectors and pumps shouldnt have a problem after the gelled fuel?

edit trucks running 540 rotella syn

Last edited by mustangman02232; 01-15-2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:54 AM

If it will start and run it is fine to drive for a while but that wax builds up on the filters and I don't think it comes back out of the filters. That short distance should not hurt anything though if it will start, yeah messing with plastic caps at that temp could prove to be a pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.