Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What is this whole "strategy" thing I keep hearing?

560 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  superjet701k 
#1 ·
I know it's ecu related. But what exactly is it ? Software coding? Ecu batch coding or something? Or is particular to custom tunes? I really want to get my truck tuned what does the strategy have to do with a programmer? Can I just buy any used sct that comes up and use it or does the strategy thing have to match?

Anyone selling a sct programmer let me know

Thx

#2 ·
well its a ecm and tcm program so a truck will run and shift. over the years ford came up with differant programs to overcome problems. mostly do too the fact that it was costing them in warranty work. so they ajust the program to save them money not nessarily to make it better or more powerful. blown headgaskets was a bigger problem in standard transmission trucks. why you ask? Well truck drivers like there Old straight drive trucks but think there still driving a kennworth. so they add hotrod parts to boost up power but dont like high rpms. So hauling a fithwheeler with 18000 pounds with 28 lbs of boost would be fine at 3500 rpms but truckers like to lug diesels engines. now put 28 pounds of boost at 1500 rpms and hit a hill and boom there go your headgaskets. A automatic transmission would down shift and rev the 3500 and no boom. So ford puts out a program update (strategy) to pull power and not let the engine blow itself to pieces with what they have learned was costing them. Now if you know what your doing and what the engine can handle and when you can easliy double the power of these engines and use it correctly and it will last a very long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.