High Idle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High Idle?

Stooopid question of the day.....

2004 f350 w/6.0. On cold days like today, when I start it up, she'll run great and idle in the normal idle RPM range (cannot remember but its like 700 or 800 perhaps). If in park and provided my foot isn't on the brake pedal, after a minute or 2, she'll throttle up to about 1000ish rpm. Once I depress the brake, it idles back to normal. Only happens on cold days...not in the summer or warmer temps. This truck is stock (no tunes, etc).

Is this the high idle mod that has been referenced in other threads? If not, what is, then, the high idle mod and why does the mod exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 05:18 AM

No that is normal and the computer is doing that because the air intake temp is low. The PTO high idle takes the RPM to 1200 and it requires the emergency brake.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank81 View Post
No that is normal and the computer is doing that because the air intake temp is low. The PTO high idle takes the RPM to 1200 and it requires the emergency brake.

Not true, I'm not sure what model years, but I know my 04 does not need to have the parking brake engaged. I hit the switch and leave.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

Also to the OP that is normal, nothing to worry about...
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdwg View Post
Not true, I'm not sure what model years, but I know my 04 does not need to have the parking brake engaged. I hit the switch and leave.
Fair enough... I have an '05 and that is how mine works.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
03/04 does not need the brake
Old 01-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to 0760rmu927
07 does not need the E brake applied
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is completely normal. You may hear an airy sound like the turbo wastegate is stuck open if you try to drive it while it is cold, and that is the exhaust baffle off the manifold. It closes to create more pressure on the engine while it is idled up to help warm the engine and compartment to help bring everything to a safe normal operating temp. It happens to my 7.3 if the engine oil temp is lower than 60ish and the air intake is say lower than 40ish. Let it idle up like that for 5 minutes or so and you should be fine to run it normal.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botton rastarD View Post
It is completely normal. You may hear an airy sound like the turbo wastegate is stuck open if you try to drive it while it is cold, and that is the exhaust baffle off the manifold. It closes to create more pressure on the engine while it is idled up to help warm the engine and compartment to help bring everything to a safe normal operating temp. It happens to my 7.3 if the engine oil temp is lower than 60ish and the air intake is say lower than 40ish. Let it idle up like that for 5 minutes or so and you should be fine to run it normal.
Cool dude, thats what your 7.3 does. Nothing you said answers the OPs question or is it relevant to what our 6.0s do. Nice try
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmover View Post
Cool dude, thats what your 7.3 does. Nothing you said answers the OPs question or is it relevant to what our 6.0s do. Nice try
Well there Mr. ironic mover, if you are so perfect and talented when it comes to the 6.0L, then ive got one question for you... whay dont you answer the OPs post? the cold high idle is programmed in the PCM, as with the 7.3L, and when low temp parameters are met, the computer automatically idles the engine up to about 1000 rpm, which im sure you know Iron man. we all know what that does... makes heat. anyways, what Ol' Iro was going to tell you since he is so great at stating that 7.3s and 6.0 are different sizes and not the same program and what not, is that yes, on top of the cold high idle, you can make a DIY high idle control that will make your engine idle up to 1200 rpm!!!!! WootWoot! well, lets brake it down. its actually a PTO Idle Control that is Pre-wired into your harness under the dash that you can wire a toggle switch in with the corresponding return wire that the PTO would normally hook up to and poof! high idle on demand! but Ol' EmoMover forgot that this is a forum for helping other powerstroke owners out to the best of ones abilities. sorry your 6.0L buddy wouldnt tell you that you can make your own high idle control and that the cold idle is normal...besides, why should someone so knowledgeable share his brains when he can feel superior!!!? sorry OP for putting you in the middle of this, but hopefully you found some answers... as for the baffle that the 7.3 has to create pressure on the engin, i do not know if your 6.0 has that, but like ol leadhead said, its a 6.0 not a 7.3...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.