What to do to my 6.0? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 06:06 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to do to my 6.0?

I have an '06 with about 90,000 miles on it. It has been a great truck for me an I still love it as much as the day that I bought it. The egr went out about 10,000 miles ago and was replaced under warranty. I've put a turbo back 4" exhaust and a S&B cold air intake in, but other then that it's a stock truck...other then mud tires. I really don't feel like shelling out the big bucks for a new truck when I love the one that I'm driving. So what next? I don't think I should add a chip/tuner unless I did some other upgrades first. Should I do the egr delete next or what? BearDZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 06:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would do a coolant filter. If you're still under warranty it's easy to remove if the truck has to go into the shop. Also, once your warranty is up switch over to a ELC coolant. I think switching the coolant would void your warranty, but if I'm wrong someone will correct me shortly.

You might also consider an oil bypass filter.

Neither of the above are "performance mods" but your truck will love you for them.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the input. I should have stated that I'm not really looking for performance improvement mods. I like how it performs currently. I just want it to last me as long as possible without major problems. BearDZ
Old 01-14-2011, 07:12 AM

1. Coolant filter
2. fuel pressure gauge
3. Edge Insight to monitor other important parameters (most importantly, ECT and EOT)
Old 01-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Flush your coolant system with Restore and Restore Plus or VC-9 then switch to a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant. That will solve the issue with oil cooler clogging, egr cooler rupturing, head gaskets blowing. Changing your coolant to ELC WILL NOT void your warranty any more than changing your oil to Rotella will.

That is the cheapest and single most important thing you can do for reliability of your truck. If you want to understand why read the links in my signature.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:32 AM

So I'm leaning toward changing out the coolant to the ELC coolant thinking that the coolant filter won't be needed as badly if the silicate problem is eliminated with the removal of the ford coolant. Will definitely flush system well. The truck is due for this anyway. Also thinking that an EGR delete and SCT tuner would be a good way to go. These seem like easier fixes and I don't think head studs need to be done for now anyways. What do you think?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 AM

Also some sort of gauges are in order, probably the edge. ?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearDZ View Post
So I'm leaning toward changing out the coolant to the ELC coolant thinking that the coolant filter won't be needed as badly if the silicate problem is eliminated with the removal of the ford coolant. Will definitely flush system well. The truck is due for this anyway. Also thinking that an EGR delete and SCT tuner would be a good way to go. These seem like easier fixes and I don't think head studs need to be done for now anyways. What do you think?
The coolant filter isn't needed as much for the silicate, but it will help get out the casting sand that may cause problems (water pump, heater core, oil cooler).
Old 01-18-2011, 06:54 AM

The 6.0 can be a great engine - but usually by the time you can say that, you have put in a good $10,000 into engine repairs.

Check your state laws - make sure you dont need to do diesel emission testing if you decide to delete the EGR. If you decide to go the route of deleting the EGR - here on the forum is a post with pictures on a DIY EGR delete. I had my mechanic do this very delete (while he was rebuilding the entire top half of my engine - decked heads, ARP studs, HG, new upgraded Oil Cooler, etc., etc., etc) - the EGR delete cost me $50 in parts. Very worthwhile and I have had 0 problems since!

I've got 224,500 miles on my early '03 6.0. No real complaints right now. Right now its running great - just a small diesel leak at the top fuel filter - it's always something.

Good luck and enjoy your truck!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:09 AM

That first coolant filter I changed on mine was so full of gold sludge, I'd highly recommend a flush and filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.