Can Diesel go bad?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can Diesel go bad??

I know gas in a car can go bad if it sits for a couple months, but is diesel the same way?? I bought a little beater commuter car(35-40mpg) for work and school(putting 1000miles a week on and can't afford $3.60a gallon haha), so my truck will sit for 2-3 weeks without being ran.

I'm in NW PA so the temps at night are down in the teens and usually below freezing during the day. A tank of fuel will pry last a couple months. Should I put anything in there to help stabilize it, or isn't that necessary like it is with a gas engine??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2011, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Nice truck....Just like mine.

My truck sits just like your as I use the beater car for everything. I try to keep the tank at least half full if not all the way full. Kepp the condensation down. I also add power service diesel conditioner to the tank. one ounce per two gallons. Also I add walmart two stroke to my fuel. One ounce per two gallons. I have had a tank last for three months with no ill effects. Hope this helps.

BTW. You should start it once a week and let it run ten minutes or so just to keep things moving around.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yes diesel can go bad and start growing algae and all kinds of bad stuff, though it isn't likely in freezing weather. They make antibacterial and antimicrobial additives for long term storage. If you are not using the truck much in warmer weather you might want to consider them. Once you get algae growing in the fuel system it's a biotch to get rid of.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just tried using some 1 year old diesel that was clean with no signs of any containments...bad idea...ran like crap..??
Old 01-14-2011, 01:52 PM

St-A-Bil has a diesel formula.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM

Diesel fuel can gel up if it sits long enough, happened to my New Holland tractor before
Old 01-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek View Post

BTW. You should start it once a week and let it run ten minutes or so just to keep things moving around.
I wouldn't start the truck unless you plan to drive it and get it to full operating temp. I've always been told that you don't want to start something just to start it unless you plan on driving it. I know this holds true in motorcycles, not sure about diesel trucks. More else i guess the logic behind it is that you will get build up but because you arent getting full temp and higher rpm you won't blow the crud out. just my .02
Old 01-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My 95 had been sitting for a year and a half when I bought it. I transferred about 40 gallons out of the rear tank into my 2000 before loading the 95 in the trailer. The truck ran better than normal due to the old fuel being LSD.

I have also left my 2000 sitting for 7 months with a full tank and had no issues.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonestroker View Post
I wouldn't start the truck unless you plan to drive it and get it to full operating temp. I've always been told that you don't want to start something just to start it unless you plan on driving it. I know this holds true in motorcycles, not sure about diesel trucks. More else i guess the logic behind it is that you will get build up but because you arent getting full temp and higher rpm you won't blow the crud out. just my .02
That is the philosophy that I follow for everything I own. From my Harley to my lawn mower.

If I were you I would get the stabil stuff and dump a little in there. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:38 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonestroker View Post
I agree 100%. As a matter of a fact, when I go to the gym, if I go straight home, my oil is only at about 155-160*. I drive the long way a few more miles or I grab some food, it takes my oil up to 185-190
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.