Cold weather question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 05:24 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold weather question?

I reset my programmer to monitor the ECT and OCT after reading a lot of post on the importance of this. What I found out was that my block heater wasn`t doing anything.I had to start it Tuesday and the OCT was 18 degrees and the outside temp was 4 degrees. I later found that the plug on the heater at the front of the truck had a broken wire. It`s now fixed and works great. What I want to know is it possible that being so cold it could cause a P0611 to show up ? Ive been having this problem since Christmas of the code showing up every so often. I checked the voltages on the FICM and they were good but now I wonder if the cold could have anything to do with it. So far since repairing the plug and having the heater working The codes have not shown up ( YET) I wasnt putting in any additives in the fuel. Didn`t know about them till coming to this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

P0611 typically indicates a dying FICM. I have never heard of cold weather directly causing the P0611.

Cold weather is when dying FICMs tend to show themselves. Thicker cold oil makes the FICM work harder to buzz the injectors before a cold start up.

My truck started right up yesterday after not running for two days in 10F high/-10F low temps, not plugged in.

Last winter, before I replaced my FICM, that never would have happened. Any time it got to 20F or lower, it was a crap shoot as to whether it would start or not, and the struggle to start really taxed my batteries, alternator, and starter.

So I opted to replace the FICM before I had to replace the FICM, batteries, alternator, and starter.

And now I'm confident that my truck will start after being unplugged overnight in temps down to -10F.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_huisman View Post
P0611 typically indicates a dying FICM. I have never heard of cold weather directly causing the P0611.

Cold weather is when dying FICMs tend to show themselves. Thicker cold oil makes the FICM work harder to buzz the injectors before a cold start up.

My truck started right up yesterday after not running for two days in 10F high/-10F low temps, not plugged in.

Last winter, before I replaced my FICM, that never would have happened. Any time it got to 20F or lower, it was a crap shoot as to whether it would start or not, and the struggle to start really taxed my batteries, alternator, and starter.

So I opted to replace the FICM before I had to replace the FICM, batteries, alternator, and starter.

And now I'm confident that my truck will start after being unplugged overnight in temps down to -10F.
My truck starts fine. At 4 degree it took less than two seconds to start, it just dont sound real good at first. And then I got the 611 code. It dosent do it when the block is warm. Could it be my FICM is weak ? How can I check it? I dont want to replace it if its not bad.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcaveman View Post
My truck starts fine....
Without the block heater plugged in?

Quote:
Could it be my FICM is weak ?
Yes.

Quote:
How can I check it? I dont want to replace it if its not bad.
Testing your FICM - easy procedure. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 01-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_huisman View Post

What oil do you use?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:10 PM

This may help
2 stroker
Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMartinez View Post
What oil do you use?
Rotella T-6 5W-40. I've been running it since i bought the truck almost 2 years ago, in March 2009.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

I checked the FICM using the directions I found in the tech tips last week. I have 48V with key on motor off and 46.5 with motor running. This all started around Christmas the motor was stalling and emitting white/blue smoke. I got some help from the forum here and finally cleaned the EGR valve and everything got a lot better. Except sometimes the 611 code will show up. not every time. The voltages checked out OK so I didn't make the repair on the FICM but now I think maybe I should. I`ll re-solder the connections tomorrow and see if that might fix it. Thanks and I`ll post what I learn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.