oil cooler question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question oil cooler question

Ok, hello everyone! I just read info about the gold coolant ford puts in the cooling system and what it does as far as stopping up egr coolers and oil coolers. I have a 04 e350 with the 6.0 in it. It is a cab and chassis box van. As far as I know the vehicle hasn't been worked at all. I was told that it never hauled heavy loads but really can't be confirmed. My question is, how can I know if the coolers mentioned are becoming or are stopped up? The van has roughly 88,xxx miles. I have no guages other than what is on the dash. Also, what needs to be done to this vehicle to insure reliability in the future. This is going to be a work vehicle. Thanks guys, Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i you get a edge insight or similar product you can monitor the engine oil temp and the coolant temp. A difference of 15* or more is signs of oil cooler failure.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So what can I do to prevent the failure? Should I drain the coolant and replace with something else? If so what should I replace it with?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:53 PM

I am in the same boat. Have been reading alot the past couple days and i decided to flush out the gold ford coolant and replace with ELC-1 coolant. From what I have readthe gold coolant doesnt hold up to the heat from the egr cooler and the silicates begin to seperate from the coolant and plug up the cooler. There is a write up on what products to use for the flush. restore and vc-9 i think
Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Is the restore and vc-9 available at a parts house or dealer? I would like to get that crap out of there before too late. I don't need my van breaking down on me during work time.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

VC-9 is a Ford product. It runs around $25 a quart, you need 2 for the job.

Read this link to find out where to get Restore and Restore+. Restore+ is supposed to be VC-9 type product.

Where do I get some Restore/Restore Plus?!?!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do I have to use distilled water to flush the engine?
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry f. View Post
Do I have to use distilled water to flush the engine?

ELC is the coolant recommended and used by International for this engine. .

Coolant Flush for changing to ELC

Drain coolant by removing lower radiator hose. Drain block from plug on drivers side of the block. Remove the thermostat. Replace plug in block and put lower hose back on. Put thermostat housing back on without thermostat. Fill with distilled water. run for 5 minutes then drain as above..Fill and run 5 more minutes drain. Put in 3/4 to 1 gallon of Restore an top with distilled water. Drive it for an 60-90 minutes then drain. Flush 2 times with distilled water or whatever it takes to come clear. Put 2 qts of VC-9 or 3/4 to 1 gallon of Restore+ cost less and fill with distilled water. Drive it for about 60-90 minutes. Drain and flush after. Flush 3 more times with distilled water untill it come out clean. Replace thermostat or put in a new one. Put hose back, make sure block plug is tight. Add 3.5 gallons of ELC concentrate and top off with distilled water. Make sure to run engine for 5 minutes between flushes to circulate the water good. Have heater on set to hi while doing this to flush the heater core too. new t/stat from Ford it should all come together (housing-t/stat-o-ring) in a box. The part number is RT-1169 other years should be the same.
2 stroker
Old 01-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys for the advice. Looks like I got work to do. Thanks again, Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.